Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to keep on track during vacation!

I'm going to Hawaii next Saturday for 9 days. I'm a little nervous that I won't be able to keep on track. I don't want to go being super strict because I want to enjoy myself just a little bit! I was just curious about what others had done while on vacation and any good pointers you could offer. I'm hoping to maybe take a run on the beach or something to keep exercise in my schedule, but it's more all of the tempting food!

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    I spend that time eating maintenance. I don't want to have to worry about counting calories and you can't do much damage unless you just gorge on everything you see. My suggestion is to enjoy your trip and get back at it when you return.
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Good idea. Thanks!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    When I went on my cruise I didn't track. Just tried not to eat everything in site and to be as active as possible.

When I went out of town last weekend I tracked - but that was just a small trip. I think for Hawaii I'd just skip tracking and enjoy!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    How long have, you been working on this?

Given your attitude, you don't seem to trust yourself, so I don't suggest a free for all.

For journaling, it isn't always necessary to know how many calories. Just committing to writing everything down often helps folks make more conscious choices.
  • rmkeech1
    rmkeech1 Posts: 12 Member
    I just got back from 11 days at Disney World! I didn't track at all, just tried to keep an eye on what I was eating. BUT I didn't skip anything I really wanted either (including drinks...lots of drinks), it was after all my vacation! Came home and was up 2 pounds, but I got back to my tracking and exercise routine and it was gone within the week. I guess what I'm saying is stay alert but have fun and get back on the wagon quickly when you return and it'll all be ok.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    I would just write down everything I was eating in a notebook, that way I still feel like I have some accountability to myself, but I'm not worried about adding up calories on my vacation. I think if you write it down though, it will still stop you from going overboard because you're thinking about what you're eating.

That being said, enjoy, don't try to lose weight on a vacation! I would just aim for trying not to gain more than a couple of pounds.
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Thanks everyone! I should be able to at least maintain if anything and if I gain a few lbs then so be it....I will just have to work hard when I get back!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Wait for a week after you get back to weigh yourself. Just being on the plane will make you retain water!

Get right back on track with your plan, but stay away from the scale.