Just a reminder for people about salt and entering foods

Options
When entering Foods in my diary i noticed that my sodium levels were low. I picked four random foods and checked them against the labels. what I found is that people are entering the weight in grams not in milligrams resulting in huge figure deductions.
So just as a heads up
when you read 0.2g sodium per serving enter it as 200mg in the sodium section.
1.2g of sodium is 1200 mg more than half my daily needs.
Anyway I wasn't pointing fingers it may just be the foods I eat but its good to get the levels right even if you are only counting calories. Salt plays a very big role in water retention and weight loss.

If you watch your sodium levels correctly you will be amazed at the amount of the stuff naughty foods have in it. e
Happy calorie counting
Ben

ps if this topic has come up recently I apologise

Replies

• Roger_Williams
    Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    And if you have high blood pressure, as I do, it is even more important to watch your sodium levels. Unfortunately I have only recently become interested in nutrients, and wouldn't have spotted this, not knowing whether 0.2 or 2000 is an appropriate value for a sodium content. <wry grin> So thank you for raising it. I will watch out for it.
  • Roger_Williams
    Roger_Williams Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    After I wrote that I noticed you are only 1lb away from your goal. Nice work, well done!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Simplicity... thanks for pointing that out. I will have to keep an eye on that when I look at entries from the database.

Sodium has become my most recent nemesis in watching what I eat. It started with the calories, and then the fats, now I am trying to keep a reign on the sodium.

I second Roger's sentiments on the near attainment of your goal. Woot Woot!!!
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks people. I was just going to add something else aswell.
    A sign that the sodium level is incorrect is if the figure is between one and ten. If you click food information incorrect and edit then you can see what a person has input for the sodium levels usually it will be something like. 0.2 or 0.02 which again shows up in the diary as 0. So just times the figure by 1000 and correct it. You don't even need to read the label.

Ps as a slight cheat my goal used to be lower but people told me that i look fine as I was so I changed it to higher. Now its all about cutting body fat hence following sodium levels and such.
    Ben
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    This bugs me too :wink:

I always check sodium levels on all food and change it if needed :smile: