I'm struggling with this 1200 Calories a day thing...

Options
123457»

Replies

• Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand this myself. I can eat 1200 calories in one meal! :laugh: Eat real food, not diet food. That may get you there!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    a ittle thing called being uneducated. Jillian Michaels, Bob Harper both say women need to eat between 1200-1400 calories. and get this.................. Starvation mode is a myth. I eat very healthy and eat 1200 calories. I go with the professionals if they say its okay for me to eat that. I go with them. they are fitness trainers and done the research.

you only starve yourself if you eat empty calories like potato chips, big macs, ding dongs etc. not when you eat healthy
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Before reading about it on this site I had never heard the term starvation mode before, I think it was invented here.

LOL...they're talking about the thing that fitness models run into....when you're 10% bodyfat and you wanna be 9%, and it's damn near impossible!
    No, starvation mode is where you don't feed your body enough calories, so it thinks it's starving and slows your metabolism way down.

no it isn't. i'm pretty sure that the post you quoted has it right. you can't go into starvation mode until you have an extremely low body fat percentage. an overweight person who is eating 1200 calories a day or whatever many calories a day cannot go into starvation mode. that's not starvation mode.
    This. The body will only start munching down on your heart muscle when there's no fat left for it to metabolise.
  • kornmaiden
    Options
    Keep raw almonds or cashews nearby. They are good for you, provide healthy fats and are fairly high in calories. Just measure them out for 100 calories or so at a time.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I cannot imagine eating 1200 calories a day. Can you up the calories a bit and still lose weight? If not make sure you exercise 30 minutes per day.
  • fightininggirl
    Options
    for those who do eat 1200 calories they have a group called eating 1200-1300 calories a day here on mfp. everyone who is in the group eats that amount. you would receive a lot of support.
  • amyreafleng
    amyreafleng Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Think about it...our overweight minds tell us if we eat less we will lose weight faster. Most overweight people know very little about fitness, nutrition, and how our own bodies work. Its just a matter of learning all about these things and overcoming our own doubts (that means being able to eat real foods without feeling like you are failing). Stick with it...I promise you..it will get easier to consume what YOUR body needs.
  • fightininggirl
    Options
    I lost 18 pounds from eating 1200 calories. :tongue: I am defintely not starving myself.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    Keep raw almonds or cashews nearby. They are good for you, provide healthy fats and are fairly high in calories. Just measure them out for 100 calories or so at a time.

Good advice.
  • justkeepgoing1010
    Options
    Can you give me some of your calories haha...

Eat more dense food...healthy fats have a lot of calories. The issue is people don't want to or are afraid to. I'm not saying you are but in general, people are afraid to eat more and that's why they don't. That's how I was. I forced myself into thinking "oh I'm not hungry". Treat your body right. It is your body after all.

Peanut butter. Nuts. 2% milk as opposed to skim milk. If you have calories left over, treat yourself to something that keeps you in your calorie range but also gives your mind satisfaction.
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I make sure I reach the 1200 calories, but I understand your problem. Usually I fill up on fruit to make sure I reach that bare min. And for those doubters, it is possible to find yourself full on 1200 calories even though your overweight. I got overweight by eating kfc every day and drinking more than 2 liters of Coca-Cola every day. Just by replacing the Coca-Cola with water I cut a 1000 calories. I still eat burgers, only now they are home made and contain 400 less calories and replacing chips with veggies cuts another 300. People get overweight by eating empty calories and when replaced by food of more substance we find ourselves fuller.

Just remember eat healthy and regularly, and you will be just fine.
    Good Luck to all the people trying to make a change, and remember that we are a community of people with low self esteem so never criticize always be supportive.
  • carlen67
    carlen67 Posts: 1
    Options
    it was greatly appreciated for the advice given. im a new person to the fitness pal. I seem to be gaining or lose on pound only to gain it back. I need help calculating calories for cardio also. im 224lbs. please help me.
    I did 20 mins of situps and 20 min. of dancing general