Eating at nighttime

Options
I work monday through friday 9-6, I bring my lunch so I can eat something healthy. Immediately after work I go to the gym, so I don't get home until almost 8 most nights. And I still need to eat dinner. I hear that skipping dinner isnt a good idea, but neither is eating late. I usually just eat a bowl or cereal or some frozen stirfry veggies, something quick and easy.

I don't really know what to do about it... is it ok to eat late as long as it's something healthy? I'm also coming straight from a workout so does that play in my favor at all?

Replies

• rosysilhouette
    Options
    I heard that its a myth that its bad to eat at night time....
    but dont take my word for it :smile:
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I eat at night if I'm REALLY hungry. It's usually just a banana, but once in a while, if I've missed dinner completely, because of my schedule, then I'll have a late dinner.

I find that NOT eating after 8pm is the reason for at least half of my weight loss success (I've lost 50 lbs in the past).
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Here is a link and story from Yahoo! Health with some weight loss myths and eating at night was listed.

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/joybauernutrition/2805/diet-myths-exposed-part-1

Myth: If you eat late at night, the food turns straight into fat.

Not true.If your overall calories are appropriate for weight loss, you certainly can eat something after dinner. Late night calories will ultimately get used the next day (and even while you sleep).

However, for the sake of energy, it is always better to eat your calories during the day when your body needs the fuel. Plus, eating consistently throughout the day will stabilize blood sugar levels -- so you’ll feel energized and experience fewer cravings. If you are going to snack after dinner, I suggest choosing something 250 calories or less.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    The reason I don't eat late at night is because the food sits in your stomach all night, because digestion slows down when you sleep. I read that isn't good for you, which makes sense to me.