30 vs 60

Options
I've been dieting on my own now for about 6 months and am fairly new to the site. I found the I-phone app and started using that a little over a month ago. I was wondering what the general opinion about exercise is.

Are 2 - 30 minutes sessions better or would 1 - 60 minutes workout be better?

I can't seem to find anything definitive online, so if you have a link please post that too.

Thanks in advance. :-)

Replies

• crucible_13
    Options
    http://stanford.wellsphere.com/weight-loss-article/exercise-is-30-minutes-enough/31326

Here's an article I found with a link to it's source material. It looks like either will benefit, as long as it's 60 minutes.
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree, I dont think it matters...just do what you can!
    x
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What's important is what you'll stick with. If it's easier to start out with 2 30-minute sessions, go for it.

But understand that as long you do stick with it, eventually, you will need to make a decision as your body gets accustomed to the workload and starts to adapt. That'll determine whether you can increase the intensity of your workouts in those 30 minute sessions, or whether you can carve out an hour and go all out.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link and info!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Two thirties can be more beneficial than one sixty in that it's easier to push harder when you know it's for thirty minutes than if you know you have a whole hour ahead of you. So, if you run, you could run six miles in an hour, but be able to do 3.5 miles in each half hour, meaning you got seven miles in. Running faster means more calories burned. Of course, if you are training for a long race, you would need to do longer runs too, but just for fitness, two short intense sessions beats one long but less intense workout.