Juicing calories?

Options
Anybody know how you would find the calorie count if I were to juice my fruits and veggies??

How could I log that?

(I read that because there is no pulp, the fiber is lacking....)

Replies

• joseyjo78
    joseyjo78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I juice also, but I don't know how to separate the actual whole vege to juice and obtain that sole nutritional data, sorry. All I can say is I'm conscious of the fibre when look at my daily totals, knowing I have to subtract for my juice. If you find out, I would love to know.
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    just log the fruit and call it good enough
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    c240x134_59_zpsa28e40b5.jpg
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    depending on what you are juicing you may be able to find the same juices in the MFP database. I usually juice Apple Carrot and Beets... So I do the ABC juice from Robeks in the database. If I can't find a juice close enough from robeks, I'll look for other juice bars in the database or type in the individual juice (i.e. fresh apple juice, or carrot juice, etc).
  • jmcreynolds
    jmcreynolds Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For most stuff there's a "raw" version in the database. Only things I haven't found are the weird ones, like butternut squash juice. :) .. I've found Spinach, Carrot, Cucumber, Kale, Apple, Lemon, Grapefruit.. and I'm sure some others in the MFP Database.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    fiber doesn't have any calories. by definition fiber is material that can't be digested that gets ground up but comes out the other end. Your body extracts all of the calories (sugar) from the fiber in the digestive tract. Therefore, by juicing, you consume all of the calories and none of the fiber.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do appreciate all of your comments! So, thanks!

I kinda poked around the food database but wasn't sure what I could enter that would bring up something remotely close to what I was juicing.
    I'm hoping this going to help get the nutrition I need!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You need the fiber too not just the sugars from juicing. A lot of the nutrients are contained in the skins and the fiber is necessary to keep everything moving. Drinking a glass of sugar water you've sucked out of food isn't a good way to get nutrition. Whatever you juice needs to be counted completely as calories so you aren't saving anything there by juicing.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    fiber doesn't have any calories. by definition fiber is material that can't be digested that gets ground up but comes out the other end. Your body extracts all of the calories (sugar) from the fiber in the digestive tract. Therefore, by juicing, you consume all of the calories and none of the fiber.

You do not consume all the calories/ nutrients, no domestic juicer can extract all the nutrients from produce leaving nothing but fibre. Even commercial machines have to 'wash up' the pulp to extract more juice, in the case of oils they even use chemical and/ or heat to get the rest of the 'juice' from the pulp (eg. olive pomace oil). Neither does your body extract all the nutrients from food, poop is not fibre and nothing else otherwise people who eat little fibre would never poop, nobody would bother using poop as compost and dogs would not eat each others.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    myphytos.com/build

you can input the fruits and veggies and it will tell you the juice nutrition
  • danieve66
    danieve66 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    chuckles9189 ... Thank you for the site info! Very helpful!
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    myphytos.com/build

you can input the fruits and veggies and it will tell you the juice nutrition

Oh, that is quite epic!! Thank you!!
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    I'm trying to incorporate more fruits and veggies into my diet.

I don't (can't) eat a lot of fruits because of the consistency-has never agreed with me-so I figured juicing a little everyday might be helpful!