Delicious, low cal butternut squash pasta sauce

Options
NaurielR
NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
I love creamy sauces. A zippy tomato sauce may hit the spot every now and then, but a truly comforting pasta dish is slathered in creamy goodness. How do these sauces get to be so creamy? Cream and fat. Not the best foods to be eating when you want something low calorie

But after stumbling across a recipe for butternut squash pasta sauce, I decided to make my own.

This sauce is smooth and creamy as sin. You wouldn't guess it's healthy. But being made mostly from a vegetable, and clocking in at a little over 70 calories for 3/4 of a cup, I can assure you this sauce is magic.

***I really love butternut squash. A lot. A lot more than I should. This is a very good sauce, but if my love for all things butternut squash oversells this sauce, I'm sorry. Just know this is a tasty, healthy pasta sauce.)

INGREDIENTS
100 grams baked and purreed (lump free) butternut squash*
2 Tbsp fat free cream cheese
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
Water
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika
Whatever other spices/herbs float your tasty party boat

*by baked and riced, I mean that the butternut squash should be baked (I cube the squash and bake it at 400degrees for about 30 minutes). When I say purreed and lump free, I mean that it should be treated in some way that will reduce it to a lump free purée. I use a ricer, but you can push it through a strainer as well. If you have a strong blendr and are making a bigger batch, you can try that as well, but I haven't tested that method myself

INSTRUCTIONS
The hardest part is pureeing the squash. I find its easier when it's warm, but using a manual ricer or pushing it through a strainer is tough, tedious work. But stick to it!

After you have 100 grams of squash puree, heat it in the microwave until warm. Add the cream cheese and stir until mixed and the cream cheese has melted.

Add the chicken broth and combine. Add water until you get a sauce of you desired consistency.

Add spices. I can't tell you what amount or what types, because I never measure and sometimes use different spices. I've listed salt, pepper, garlic and onion pepper, and paprika in the ingredients list becuse they go very well together. However, I've added things such as chipotle powder, basil, thyme, and chili powder. Just go wild and use your creativity.

Replies

• LesCalvert
    LesCalvert Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious! Gonna be giving this a try.
    Thank you.
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i make butternut lasagne with leek and it is v v v v yummy!

Glad i've fiund another butternut enthusiast! But i am much lazier, i mostly just halve it lengthways and bake it cut side up for 50mins @ gm6 and when its done you can scoop it out the skin and mash it with a fork....so much easier than cubes!
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks!
  • Rrrroxy777
    Options
    BUMP !
    Sounds YUM. :happy:
  • NaurielR
    Options

Glad i've fiund another butternut enthusiast! But i am much lazier, i mostly just halve it lengthways and bake it cut side up for 50mins @ gm6 and when its done you can scoop it out the skin and mash it with a fork....so much easier than cubes!

That is a very good idea. I usually use baked and cubed squash because that's what I have on hand (my family will have squash as a side dish for dinner, but we never finish it all). However, the cubes develop a skin when baked, that although delicious, makes the sauce kinda chunky. Baking halves of squash and solves both problems! I'll try thisand see how it works
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    bump
  • llynn19
    llynn19 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thankyou for posting this recipe my son allergic to Tomatos and I am getting a little tired of Alfredo sauce.
    Thankyou! Thankyou! Thankyou!
    I love creamy sauces. A zippy tomato sauce may hit the spot every now and then, but a truly comforting pasta dish is slathered in creamy goodness. How do these sauces get to be so creamy? Cream and fat. Not the best foods to be eating when you want something low calorie

But after stumbling across a recipe for butternut squash pasta sauce, I decided to make my own.

This sauce is smooth and creamy as sin. You wouldn't guess it's healthy. But being made mostly from a vegetable, and clocking in at a little over 70 calories for 3/4 of a cup, I can assure you this sauce is magic.

***I really love butternut squash. A lot. A lot more than I should. This is a very good sauce, but if my love for all things butternut squash oversells this sauce, I'm sorry. Just know this is a tasty, healthy pasta sauce.)

INGREDIENTS
    Water
    Salt and pepper
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Paprika

*by baked and riced, I mean that the butternut squash should be baked (I cube the squash and bake it at 400degrees for about 30 minutes). When I say purreed and lump free, I mean that it should be treated in some way that will reduce it to a lump free purée. I use a ricer, but you can push it through a strainer as well. If you have a strong blendr and are making a bigger batch, you can try that as well, but I haven't tested that method myself

INSTRUCTIONS
    The hardest part is pureeing the squash. I find its easier when it's warm, but using a manual ricer or pushing it through a strainer is tough, tedious work. But stick to it!

After you have 100 grams of squash puree, heat it in the microwave until warm. Add the cream cheese and stir until mixed and the cream cheese has melted.

Add the chicken broth and combine. Add water until you get a sauce of you desired consistency.

Add spices. I can't tell you what amount or what types, because I never measure and sometimes use different spices. I've listed salt, pepper, garlic and onion pepper, and paprika in the ingredients list becuse they go very well together. However, I've added things such as chipotle powder, basil, thyme, and chili powder. Just go wild and use your creativity.
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Bump to fix later!
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bump and thank you
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

INGREDIENTS
    Water
    Salt and pepper
    Garlic powder
    Onion powder
    Paprika

INSTRUCTIONS

Oh my! I also have an unhealthy love affair with Butternut Squash. I so can't wait to try this with some rice noodles! YUM!
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

That is a very good idea. I usually use baked and cubed squash because that's what I have on hand (my family will have squash as a side dish for dinner, but we never finish it all). However, the cubes develop a skin when baked, that although delicious, makes the sauce kinda chunky. Baking halves of squash and solves both problems! I'll try thisand see how it works
    I steam mine and you can put it straight in the food processor and it comes out lump free!
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    This sounds like a great recipe. How much, in cups, is 100 g of butternut squash? How many does the recipe serve? Thanks.
  • phard53
    phard53 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thatlittlebit
    thatlittlebit Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I find if you just put it in a bowl/jug and use a stick blender it's perfectly lump free and smooth!
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!
  • NaurielR
    Options
    This sounds like a great recipe. How much, in cups, is 100 g of butternut squash? How many does the recipe serve? Thanks.

Ah, thank you for reminding me. I like to measure my stuff on a scale, but I did measure out the squash in cups just to give people a reference. 100 grams of puréed squashes comes out very nicely to about 1/2 cup. This recipe will make roughly 3/4 cup, depending on how loose or thick you like your sauce.
  • cnelsdesigns
    cnelsdesigns Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sound's yummy, I have some butternut squash in the freezer. I'm going to give this a try. I make a very tasty butternut squash/sweet potato/jalapeno pepper soup that is to die for and am sure I will love your recipe. Heading to the store right now for low fat cream cheese. Thank you for sharing.
  • Caggle123
    Caggle123 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A big slim bump! :smile:
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I puree squash either by throwing it in my Blendtec blender, or using electric beaters in a stock pot ;-) In the Blendtec, I don't even have to cook it first!
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    for an even healthier version, I'd use veggie broth, and tofutti cream 'cheese'. That way there's no saturated fat or cholesterol. (im vegan) i absolutely love love LOVE butternut squash, but never thought of adding the cream cheese part. THIS I WILL TRY!