Do you end up binging on days you don't work out?

Options
Hi all!

I was wondering how everyone felt about days that you don't work out....if you tend to eat crappier because you didn't do so that day? This has been a problem for me for a while...but I decided to make it a goal to stop doing this. I usually work out 5-6 times a week...which means 1-2 days a week I end up binging! It's a horrible cycle. I challenged myself the last two days to not work out, but still eat normally and not eat unhealthy/binge....and I did it!

Do any of you out there struggle with this?? What tips do you have for this? Thanks!! :)

Replies

• trchristy
    trchristy Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    well seems as though I did that today... Didnt exercise and binged on Kit Kats... ugh So thats a good question interested in seeing what info you get sorry I am not any help. But I can relate for sure... hang in there... :) back on track tomorrow
  • harrels
    Options
    YES!! I'm glad I'm not the only one! Usually when I skip a day of working out, it's because I didn't get much sleep and am too tired to get up. Then because I don't get in the work out, I'm really exhausted and end up eating fast energy foods so I can get through the day. I feel so guilty when I have days like this, so I try to work out everyday. And congrats on resisting the tempation to binge! I'm still on the work out crutch...
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I didn't get to the gym today because there was really bad ice on the roads. I tried to take a walk but I slipped on the sidewalk and busted my tushie pretty quickly so I retreated back to my apartment. I feel really crummy about the lack of working out and I binged on rice...which is a dumb thing to binge on but I ate A LOT of chicken flavored rice. :/
  • Jewelforyou
    Options
    I do.

Because I've been pretty much at my goal weight for awhile (except 5 pounds here or there because of holidays or something like that), most of the time I'm not tracking my food. Generally I just try to be mindful of what I eat. But I do work out almost everyday.

Every once in a while when I don't work out for some reason, I do find that I tend to eat a lot worse that day. Instead of having the lunch I brought to work, I'll go down to the cafeteria at my office and have chicken fingers and fries or something like that. And then I'll end up having chips and chocolate in the afternoon, and then dinner is a disaster and so one. It's almost like my subconscious is saying "its all or nothing baby!"

Its not on purpose and it doesn't happen every single time. But I definitely have noticed the pattern. Luckily I rarely miss a workout so in the grand scheme of things its not a total disaster.

Also lucky for me is that it usually only lasts the one day and when I'm back to my regular workout routine the next day my eating moderates a bit more too.
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This really makes me feel better that I am not the only one (well not better than you all are binging in the same sense, just that I am not the only one doing this)! I really wonder why we do this?? I mean I get it we didn't work out or we are so tired that it just feels good sometimes to sit down and veg out....BUT then we feel sooo guilty about this later and ESPECIALLY the next day (when I feel like i'm carrying a food baby from the night before). I got some good tips especially for someone like me that has an oral fixation: try buying cinnamon tea tree toothpicks (whole foods) and that will give your mouth something to do. That is how I got through yesterday :):)
  • miss_metal
    miss_metal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do! Big time! So I make myself go for a walk or get on my treadmill or just do something so the temptation to eat poorly starts to go away. I know I have a binge eating problem when I am slack. If I have a day when I cant be bothered to do anything my head is all 'food, want food!' even when I am not hungry. I am learning to deal with this by keeping myself busy and if I do what a slack day and not do anything I make sure that I don't have any bad food around to binge on.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I had a rest day today and ate about 1000 calories of peanut butter earlier (at least, I didn't measure or anything). I attribute it to needing the calories from lifting the previous day, I tend to not get hungry on my actual workout day, but the day after. I just try to keep it to something "reasonably" healthy, like not a ton of chocolate, candy bars, chips etc.
  • MizStephanie
    MizStephanie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    These are all very interesting to read. I know everyone says eat "a cupcake" not 10....but I find it on days that I don't work out to eat all of them! I hate it so much....It is all a mental thing. That is how a balance diet works and I think this is the hardest part for us all. Agreed?