You don't NEED..............

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Don't forget happiness, joy, pleasure, etc. Those aren't necessary.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Physiologically speaking you do NEED carbs. To fuel your brain, or else it doesn't run properly.
    Maybe. Carbs are non essential though. You can live without them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Can you give an example of a vegetarian food that doesn't have carbs?

Yes please give an example!! I was a vegetarian for 24 years and I am mystified as to what you are talking about. Vegetables have carbs. Fruit has carbs. Nuts have carbs. Legumes have carbs.
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Our bodies can convert proteins to glucose.
    GLUCOSNEOGENOSIS. Essentially your body eats it's own tissue, which is harmful over a long period of time. First to go is the liver, which is mightily important to life.

Not quite accurate:

gluconeogenesis /glu·co·neo·gen·e·sis/ (gloo″ko-ne″o-jen´ĕ-sis) the synthesis of glucose from molecules that are not carbohydrates, such as amino and fatty acids.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Physiologically speaking you do NEED carbs. To fuel your brain, or else it doesn't run properly.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I eat less than <50g net carbs on a vegan diet. For example, the seaweed I eat has .8g of carbs per bag, the protein powder I use is 2g carbs per serving, and the bread I use is 8g net carbs each. If you live off of fruit of course you'd be eating a lot more carbs but I don't eat fruit. I can get all of my micros from vegetables.

Oh so you don't really mean it when you say you don't need carbs. *eyeroll*

Of course you need carbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

No.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Also out of curiosity what the heck would your diet consist of if you didnt eat dairy meat or carbs? Mustard, parsley, and coffee? I think that someone would have an awful time living a nutrient dense life while eliminating ALL of those things.
    I agree. Tell that to the non dairy, non meat eating and low/no carb gurus here.
    I eat ALL of the above mentioned...................in substantial amounts might I add.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    if not for some carbs, how do we produce the sugar that makes our brains work?
    The brain can function on ketone bodies. Not that I want to do that, but yes the brain can run on them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options

Coach bags

WHAT??? yes you do :P
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No they are necessary. It actually helps with being healthy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Roboartist
    Options
    You don't need the 49ers either but who else is going to kick the Ravens butts? For what it's worth I know very little about football and had to look up who was in the Superbowl lol.

I don't need a lot of stuff, according to the Beatles all I need is Love...but love sure goes nicely with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes please give an example!! I was a vegetarian for 24 years and I am mystified as to what you are talking about. Vegetables have carbs. Fruit has carbs. Nuts have carbs. Legumes have carbs.
    He said you can live without eating carbs. He didn't say, "you can be a vegetarian without eating carbs," so your statement doesn't apply.
  • shaxnax
    shaxnax Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Our bodies can convert proteins to glucose.
    GLUCOSNEOGENOSIS. Essentially your body eats it's own tissue, which is harmful over a long period of time. First to go is the liver, which is mightily important to life.

Not quite accurate:

gluconeogenesis /glu·co·neo·gen·e·sis/ (gloo″ko-ne″o-jen´ĕ-sis) the synthesis of glucose from molecules that are not carbohydrates, such as amino and fatty acids.
    [/quote]
    how am I wrong? Your body is made from proteins which are made from amino acids. And according to my clinical nutrition book the first thing your liver converts is infact itself, and then finds other sources. Unless something has been discovered since the book was published in 2012...
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I eat less than <50g net carbs on a vegan diet. For example, the seaweed I eat has .8g of carbs per bag, the protein powder I use is 2g carbs per serving, and the bread I use is 8g net carbs each. If you live off of fruit of course you'd be eating a lot more carbs but I don't eat fruit. I can get all of my micros from vegetables.

Oh so you don't really mean it when you say you don't need carbs. *eyeroll*

Of course you need carbs.
    No you really DON'T need carbs. It's a non essential. I personally choose to eat LOTS of them though. I'm not against carbs. I started the thread to counter all the No meat, no carbs, no dairy, no fast food, no processed food health police.
    I guess not everyone has caught onto to it yet.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY need my diary. It keeps me sane! :wink:
    Yep. I don't drink dairy, but like my ice cream, cheese, yogurt and cottage cheese.

IDEA Fitness member

No, she said she needs her DIARY, because your OP said DIARY, not DAIRY. You missed her snarky comment. :wink:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    No they are necessary. It actually helps with being healthy.

IDEA Fitness member
    Health isn't necessary. All statements of "necessary" are only valid within a context. ;)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    You don't need the 49ers either but who else is going to kick the Ravens butts? For what it's worth I know very little about football and had to look up who was in the Superbowl lol.

I don't need a lot of stuff, according to the Beatles all I need is Love...but love sure goes nicely with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream ;)
    Blasphemy!!!! The 49ers are a staple in life!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I what I want no matter what anyone says with in moderation. As long as I still lose weight I will continue to do so.
  • jgrode1984
    Options
    Go RAVENS!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    how am I wrong? Your body is made from proteins which are made from amino acids. And according to my clinical nutrition book the first thing your liver converts is infact itself, and then finds other sources. Unless something has been discovered since the book was published in 2012...
    Well this is assuming that you AREN'T taking in protein sources. If that were the case, then your body would break down lean tissue.
    You aren't wrong, but the body has to be in a certain state for what you saying will happen.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I TOTALLY need my diary. It keeps me sane! :wink:
    Yep. I don't drink dairy, but like my ice cream, cheese, yogurt and cottage cheese.

IDEA Fitness member

No, she said she needs her DIARY, because your OP said DIARY, not DAIRY. You missed her snarky comment. :wink:
    Ahahahaha! I just went back and corrected it!!!

IDEA Fitness member