Flaxseed..... ??

Options
I have some (I bought to make energy balls for a snack) and I heard of someone putting it in their yogurt.
Do you use flaxseed in foods?
What foods do you put it in and why? What are the benefits?
Thanks!

Replies

• groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    (I have ground flaxseed specifically..)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to add it to my greek yoghurt along with peanut flour (pb2 without the sugar) and some stevia.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Put it in your smoothies, tuna or chicken salad, homemade granola bars or make minute muffins. I've seen recipes for flax pizza crusts and crackers. There's lots you can do with it.
  • groversa
    Options
    But why do people put it in things? What does it help with?
  • jc_miller
    Options
    Flaxseed offers a good source of protein and fiber into your diet. It also contains omega-3 and omega-6 essentail fatty acids (EFAs) which are good for heart health, immune health and overall health. The type of omega-3 in flaxseed (ALA - alpha-linolenic acid) is something that your body needs but cannot produce on its own. Walnuts also have ALA, for example. Your body needs all kinds of stuff, and while I don't exactly look at flaxseed as a weight loss food, it has the ALA and other stuff your body needs, so it still benefits your health. I'm sure it doesn't hurt as a weight loss addition, but again I don't expect some great result with it in that regard. I hope that all makes sense and answers your question.

As for the other question, I also use it for energy balls/bites as well as in yogurt and smoothies. It doesn't have a strong taste so you can probably add it to just about anything. Other foods I use for similar purposes are granola, oats in general and chia seeds.

Hope you enjoy the flax!
  • groversa
    Options
    Flaxseed offers a good source of protein and fiber into your diet. It also contains omega-3 and omega-6 essentail fatty acids (EFAs) which are good for heart health, immune health and overall health. The type of omega-3 in flaxseed (ALA - alpha-linolenic acid) is something that your body needs but cannot produce on its own. Walnuts also have ALA, for example. Your body needs all kinds of stuff, and while I don't exactly look at flaxseed as a weight loss food, it has the ALA and other stuff your body needs, so it still benefits your health. I'm sure it doesn't hurt as a weight loss addition, but again I don't expect some great result with it in that regard. I hope that all makes sense and answers your question.

As for the other question, I also use it for energy balls/bites as well as in yogurt and smoothies. It doesn't have a strong taste so you can probably add it to just about anything. Other foods I use for similar purposes are granola, oats in general and chia seeds.

Hope you enjoy the flax!

Thank you :)
  • AussieTrainer
    Options
    Everything readwrite said. It doesn't have a strong taste, however I have come to really like the taste (of whole flax). I practically eat it plain with cinnamon and milk, like a cereal ;D. It's a good way to add fiber to an otherwise low carb diet. So it's super satiating. Put it on crunchy peanut butter!
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I put it in oatmeal. I also add it to muffin recipes.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed is great! I alwas sneak it into my toddler's food as well. It helps, sorry to add this, regulate stool consistency. But it's true.

I put in in oatmeal and if they are having bread with peanut butter or jam, I sprinkle it on top. I'm not eating that stuff at the moment because I'm doing low carb (which is wroking wonders!) so I just eat a teaspoon of flax seed along with my coffee in the morning,
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It has protein? I just bought a protein shake mix thing and I'm finding it much too cloyingly sweet for my taste. Maybe I'll get some flax seed. I can sprinkle it on my cereal, right? That sounds perfect.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I throw it in my protein shake. I put it in almost any recipe just a little sprinkle...especially anything with breadcrumbs or flour.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Flax is an excellent source of bulking fibre and many minerals, it is a good source of omega-3s but only the short chain form so not a good substitute for oily fish. You do need to consume quite a bit of ground flax to be worthwhile for anything but the fibre IMO. I've stirred it into oatmeal, smoothies and a dip and it wrecked all of them, too gritty.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you don't crack the seed (grind eg.) it just goes straight through you without any benefit.
    The oil goes rancid very quickly so get fresh.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you don't crack the seed (grind eg.) it just goes straight through you without any benefit.
    The oil goes rancid very quickly so get fresh.

Just bought some cracked flaxseed, does this mean I don't need to grind it?