Lying to yourself

Options
amymeenieminymo
amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
In what ways do you lie to yourself when you cheat somehow? My favorite lie is, if I sneak this bite of food and don't log it, my body won't know I ate it and therefore won't take in the calories.:laugh:

How about you?

Replies

• buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    If I don't think about until after I eat it, somehow it won't count. This one gets me in trouble and I have to really get on myself about it because I'm usually three ho-ho's in before I recognize what I've done and then I'm screwed. And yes, before someone says it, I know and I believe the poster knows, we are only cheating ourelves. It is funny to look at our own behaviour sometimes and shake the head though, too. :wink:
  • asyluma
    asyluma Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I let myself cheat by saying, "well I ate this at midnight (which I know is bad in itself anyway) but since it's right on the day change, it doesn't have to go on either day. Of course, I kick myself in the butt later. But I get over it by saying next time I'll log it or not eat it at all. Seeing my progress keeps me strong for the most part. But I think just in the mere fact that we are trying to better ourselves is enough to say "hey, I'm entitled to a little cheat every once in a while" within reason of course!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    I kidded myself for several years that the weight was just going to go away on it's own without me making any effort. I also felt that because I had been skinny for the first part of my life, skinny after having my three children, that I was still going to be able to eat and behave in a 'skinny' way and not gain weight now I am in my 40's!
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Homemade food and desserts don't have calories. I don't see a nutrition facts label anywhere...!! :)
  • birgithooker
    Options
    I am a notorious cheater. I eat well all day and then nighttime comes. It's my only time to relax because my 16 month old is in bed and my husband usually goes to watch TV in the bedroom. So I can hang out in the living room, watch what I want to watch and for me that goes hand in hand with snacking. Like last night, I munched on mini rice cakes because they are only 70 cals a serving. So I thought, that's a good snack. Well I ate probably servings and only counted one because I knew I didn't have any more calories left for the day. I do that kind of stuff al the time and most of the time, it's not with good snacks. I hate that I do that. I just feel so hungry at night!
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Homemade food and desserts don't have calories. I don't see a nutrition facts label anywhere...!! :)

omg! too funny! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I don't really cheat much anymore, and when I do I typically am pretty open about it with myself, but sometimes when I have a pre-planned cheat day I'll avoid weighing in for a few days. If I don't see the gain, the gain never happened. :smokin:
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of coffee and in each cup I put in 2 table spoons of creamer and 1 and a 1/2 tsp of sugar! Very light and very sweet!!! Well, in the morning I will keep refilling the cup with before it's empty, so technically it's always the same FIRST cup and I don't enter all the other times that I refilled and added all that creamer and sugar! :drinker:
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm always tempted by free food-- samples at Whole Foods don't have calories, right? They're too small....

Yeah. Cheese cubes, sadly, are not too great for me.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    sample foods... ohhh that is so true!! I lie in a completely different way. I will not log in my true weight loss. If I am down 2 I will only log one. I think that I am so afraid that I won't keep it off that I don't want to put the full amount. I guess it is for wiggle room. Not sure what this is really accomplishing, because I know what the real loss is... I just cannot stop doing it!
  • DJackson230
    DJackson230 Posts: 306
    Options
    I cheated last night, added a little flavor to my diet dr pepper... created an oxymoron, a cherry diet dr pepper...
    Lets see I will dedicate about 5 minutes in the gym to this, but not log the extra 5 mins to balance this out.... ok now I feel better.
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    if there are just one or two of something left after I have my portion, I feel justified in "getting rid" of the extra. I often don't admit to eating it because I have performed a valued service by clearing it away.
  • hollyroode
    Options
    If I slip up and eat something bad in the evening, I think that it gives me the freedom to eat whatever I want for the rest of the night since I already ate 1 bad thing I might as well enjoy myself and eat what I want before a new day starts and I have to be good again.. this has turned into and extra 500-1000 calories many times :(
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    I do keep on track all week and then the weekend comes...and I just eat what I want...(with in reason) and I don't keep track. As long as the scale doesn't show a gain the next week...it never happend. LOL
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If I slip up and eat something bad in the evening, I think that it gives me the freedom to eat whatever I want for the rest of the night since I already ate 1 bad thing I might as well enjoy myself and eat what I want before a new day starts and I have to be good again.. this has turned into and extra 500-1000 calories many times :(

Oh, I do that! It's so bad too, but I sometimes cannot stop. I'll be like dang, I shouldn't have had that cookie. Well now that my night is blown, I might as well blow it some more!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a "hider". So if everyone is out of the office, and I sneak a donut it doesn't count, right?? Ha. Not so much! I have to force my self to commit to not eating alone. I have to be a "social eater" :laugh: I don't mean I can't have a meal by myself at home or something, but sneaking treats!