Needing some "umph"

Options
:ohwell: Work is really picking up and I'm about to be working alot more hours. The more my hours increase into the nighttime, the more my "umph" and enthusiasm for going to the gym is diminishing. Really needing to give myself some kind of boost..I never have to be at work before 9 so I guess I could go in the morning, but I'm just not an early riser. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get my butt moving in the morning? That's the only thing I can think of to keep myself in the gym...

Replies

• asyluma
    asyluma Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My kids have me up at least 2 hours before I want to be! LOL! But even on those days when I'm really dragging, I set my coffee to automatically start brewing around 7. The smell always gets me up. If you're not a coffee drinker or don't have an auto one, maybe you can set an alarm or cell phone to go off with your favorite motivational song to wake up geared and ready.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well. I am a single mother of two who works full time 7:30am until 3:00pm so I have no time in the morning as we are always rushing and I get home just before school lets out, then by the time I do all the routine, dinner, baths, running around to classes, etc with the kids I just want to sit down on the couch and do nothing!!!....I'm having a hard time getting motivated to exercise after the full day's work....any suggestions?
  • jordan_vakil
    Options
    I am really thinking about buying an elliptical or something.. That way when I wake up I can do a little bit and when I get home do some more... But not really looking forward to the pricetag on one. lol. Maybe I should just stop being lazy and get up at 6 and get myself to the gym.. someone told me if I would just MAKE myself do it for a week then it would just be natural and I'd wake up that early ready to go!
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    Have you tried a work out DVD? When I started this process I did Jillian Michael's 30 day shred... I LOVED it because it was like having a trainer in my living room! Also, you don't have to look presentable AT ALL! Just throw on some comfy clothes! Plus, it's really cheap.... when you get sick of it move on to the next DVD.

I'm about to start some long hours at work too... looking forward to seeing other peoples responses!!
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    @jordan and triquetra - I completely have the same problem. I have time in the morning but i don't like to get up early. I started taking a bag with me to class, since i'm a college student. Although i may not have time, or i'm tired, I feel more movtivated to go since i already have my gym clothes with me. Try going immediately after work. Take some clothes put them in your car or take an extra bag. When you look at your bag you will totally think you are failing yourself for not going. Its hard but you gotta take time for yourself.

@Triquetra try picking up the kids and find a YMCA or a gym that allows kids. That way they can play while you work out and when you get home and make dinner and get the kids ready for bed, you will be ready for a good nights sleep and you feel like you acomplished something for the day.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks blueeyeddragon2, they are actually just building a YMCA near my house but it won't be done until next year:sad: so I guess I'll just have to wait until then. I can't get to the gym between work and the kids coming home since by the time I drive home I only get about 10 minutes left. I do have Shred an elliptical and treadmill at home, just having trouble at the end of the day getting up the motivation to get on them :blushing:
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, you could get up just early enough to do a quick run or bike ride in your neighborhood. For me, the gym is at least a 1.5 hour commitment (20 minutes driving/parking, 10 minutes changing/warming up, 1 hour for a workout), and a quick 2 mile run outside is only about a 30 minute commitment.