Carb/Fat/Protein % HELP!

Options
I was just experimenting with what my goals would look like and I accidently changed from my default settings. I dont know where they should really be. I just wanted to down my carbs slightly from the default since I am a vegetarian and I tend to eat straches instead of proteins. I am 168lbs, 5'8" and trying to get down to 150. I don't know enough about nutrition to change them back. Any pros out there?

Thanks!

Replies

• douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Go back into goals and you will have an option to use default
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but basically as long as you are eating less than you are burning off, it doesn't really matter unless you have a sensitivity to a certain macro (like some people can't have gluten or dairy for medical reasons).

I tend to believe that MFP sets the protein goal too low anyway, so I changed mine. I prefer a ratio of 40% protein, 35% carbs, 25% fats. But, we just have to find what works with our own preferences and helps us reach our goals.

I would concentrate first on making sure that your calorie goal is reached before tweaking the macros too much. The calorie deficit is what causes weight loss, the ratio of proteins to fats and carbs is for muscle building, energy, etc. and some people simply do better with different ratios.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm following Dan's advice right now and it's working well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

He suggests 40/30/30 (carb/protein/fat) as a starting point (you can then tweak if you need more energy for high levels of cardio etc).
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You should be able to go back in and check the "preset" numbers. If you see what they are and write them down you will be able to tweak them from there.

I personally like to up my protein instead of lower, but its a personal choice based on the idea that the body needs protein to build lean tissue, repair cells, hormone/enzyme function. It only needs carbs to turn into energy, and i want my body to use my stored fat for that purpose. But like i said, thats a personal choice based in research i've done myself and many people are very vocal about many different ways.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm following Dan's advice right now and it's working well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

He suggests 40/30/30 (carb/protein/fat) as a starting point (you can then tweak if you need more energy for high levels of cardio etc).

I was looking for his reccomendation but couldnt fint it! thanks! This is what I wanted.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone else too!!! My calories are fine. I am always under though. I just wanted more protein less carbs and broke MFP lol