Eating Eggs Before A Run

toolswhisper
toolswhisper Posts: 1
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I was just curious if anyone knows if eating a fried egg before a run or workout will interfere with the workout? The other day I had an egg and piece of toast for breakfast. Around 20 minutes later I was on the treadmill and I only burnt about 1/2 the calories I normally do. Was is the egg or did I just not perform like I usually do?

Replies

• batesp
    batesp Posts: 9 Member
    Thinking about the physics involved, if it was the same workout (same distance and same pace, assuming it was a treadmill) you should have burned roughly the same number of calories as the previous workout.
    Maybe there was a problem with the technology used to calculate/estimate calories burned?
    Or maybe consuming an egg means it requires fewer calories to run a given distance (in which case you might want to pass the tip on to your national Olympic coach).
    :happy:
  • I don't think it was the food. Most people suggest eating before your workout. I don't know what your treadmill is like, but if it's one of the ones that takes your weight into consideration, you might check that. A smaller person will burn less calories when giving the same effort as a larger person, so if your weight was set incorrectly, that would effect it. Other than that and the obvious- a difference in speed/effort- I can't think of anything else. Usually treadmills, if not accurate, are at least consistent.

Or, like the scale, maybe your treadmill's just an evil liar. . . :grumble:
This discussion has been closed.