Portion sizes for school snacks?

Options
I'm starting school again in about two days, starting my final year of high school! I think it's called senior year to some, but for me it's year 12! Anywho, I want to be prepared and pack some healthy snacks for recess and lunch and etcetera.

I have a plethora of nuts and dried fruit that I want to incorporate into my daily snacks, as well as a piece of fresh raw fruit on the side. My question is what should the portion sizing generally be? I'm trying to be vegan as well, if that's any help.

To help I have ingredients that I want to use here:

Whole Almonds
Walnuts
Pecan Nuts
Peanuts
Cashews
Dried Apricots
Goji Berries
Banana Chips
Craisins
Soya Crisps
Sunflower Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds

I've already ziplocked some dried apple and lucky's nut and soya crisps snack tubs, and roasted some chickpeas.

I'm just wondering if anyone would know a good portion to be sided next to some raw fruit (most likely berries, coconut, or banana. And, on the subject, would it be okay to freeze raw fruits in ziplock bags and then leave them to defrost the night before? Thanks

Replies

• misssmarita
    Options
    Until you're full, but not stuffed? If that's a bit difficult to gauge for you, I think 1 - 2 handfulls is an appropriate portion size of fruit/nuts and the like. I don't see anything wrong with freezing fruit and defrosting it overnight, because they do sell those ready-to-go bags of frozen berries for smoothies. Only thing is, some fruits contain a fair bit of water, so they might feel a bit watery. Other than that you should be fine :)

GOOD LUCK!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Serving of nuts, seeds and dried fruit is often listed at 30g each but it depends what you need for calories, macros and micros really. Given your profile indicates you want to bulk and you are aiming for vegan IMO don't limit yourself with servings. Be sure you are getting plenty of omega-3s because nuts, seeds, soya, grains and cooking oils tend to be skewed in favour of the omega-6s, take a high dose marine algae supplement if you don't want to live on flax and chia.

Dried sour cherries taste good if you can find them, they contain antioxidants that may help with recovery after intense exercise. I wouldn't freeze the fruit unless you have to, berries go a little mushy and leak juice when they defrost. Bananas you can freeze still in the skins otherwise you risk them oxidising. You could try flash frozen cherry and berry mixes (cheaper than fresh) and only let them defrost maybe 80% before eating, that keeps then in better shape.