Mostly under calorie goal but...

Options
This week I started to eat very clean and I've noticed that I actually have been under my calorie goal all week. I know this is very bad, and probably even worse seeing as it's usually about 200-400 less than my goal. But, I was wondering, as I'm eating all fruits, veggies and occasional processed foods (the occasional yoghurt or handful of crisps) would this really affect me in a bad way? I'm getting the amount of carbs, fat, sugar, protein and sodium even with a lack of calories... Any advice?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Betting you've set a 1200 calorie goal so yes eating under that is not good. Make better food choices, eat full fat dairy, meats, oils, nuts, and don't try to eat "clean" living on fruits and veggies with a bit of junk thrown in. Fast weight loss usually isn't sustainable so learn to eat properly so it will last you the rest of your life.
  • calisunrise
    Options
    can you make your food diary public?

i suggest you, add some nuts, lean meats and skimmed dairy to your diet. it's always better to get a little bit more of protein and good fats!

if you exercise, 1200 is not enough. 1200 is the amount you should be NETTING (calories in - calories burned). how tall are you? how much do you weigh? figure out your BMR and eat at least that for your metabolism to work well
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Add in fats! Prepare one veggie with olive oil.

One handful of nuts or two tablespoons of peanut butter will make up nearly 200 calories!
  • beadalicious
    beadalicious Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. As long as your eating healthy foods, feeling full, and getting proper vitamins you should be fine. If you do this for a long time (month or more) make sure you dont just jump right back into high calorie counts cause the weight will come right back on. Bring it up slowly, 100-200 calories per week until you are back where you should be.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    This week I started to eat very clean and I've noticed that I actually have been under my calorie goal all week. I know this is very bad, and probably even worse seeing as it's usually about 200-400 less than my goal. But, I was wondering, as I'm eating all fruits, veggies and occasional processed foods (the occasional yoghurt or handful of crisps) would this really affect me in a bad way? I'm getting the amount of carbs, fat, sugar, protein and sodium even with a lack of calories... Any advice?

You can't be hitting all your macros without hitting your calorie goal, that is not possible unless I have totally misunderstood MFP. Depends what you are eating and what you mean by clean - as well as the fruit and veggies are you getting the recommended amount of dairy, oily fish, other lean protein, other healthy fats, loads of fibre and mineral rich foods like nuts and seeds? All too often people think clean eating is mainly chicken breast, egg whites and produce, which is actually deficient in a raft of nutrients.

Why are you describing yoghurt as a processed food, do you mean the flavoured sweetened stuff or even plain yoghurt? Generally traditional no added cr@p dairy is considered acceptable in a clean diet because you are aiming for optimum nutrition. Otherwise you likely need fortified soya or almond milk 'dairy' which frankly is way more processed.

ETA are you five feet tall? It's just your profile says you are aiming for 98, is that a healthy body mass index for you? Is 1200 above your current basal metabolic rate?