I need help with this one!

Options
I just started my diet and exercise on March 10, 2010. I was wondering if I should weigh myself once a week or wait till I go back to the doctors in 1 month! Today makes a complete week....and I really want to know if I lost weight but I don’t want to be upset and discouraged if it’s not the # I was hoping for! What is the best way to go about weigh ins? Please help

Replies

• KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    I like to weigh once a week. I've seen some people who weigh daily, but that seems a little much to me. Once a week is good, so you can either see your progress and be motivated to continue on the next week, or make adjustments as needed. Friday is my weigh day, and I always look forward to it!
  • dclarsh1
    dclarsh1 Posts: 83
    Options
    Most people weigh in once a week during the weight loss phase, and once a month during maintenance. Personally, I weigh myself every day because no matter what the scale says, it reminds me why I'm eating healthy and exercising. If it goes up, I know I have to try harder, if it goes down, it reminds me that all the effort is worth it. For others, weighing themselves every day causes a neurotic kind of madness... I wouldn't recommend it if that happens to you.
  • bmarsh777
    bmarsh777 Posts: 15
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! It is up to you really. If you think you are going to be too discouraged then don't look. If you think it will help then look. :) Personally I try to only weigh once per week, on Monday mornings. That is the only weight I count and when I check in here with weight updates. If I do it everyday, I can get frustrated and it would be easier to sabatoge myself if I feel like, wow this is not working. But when I do see the numbers go down, it is very encouraging. All this to say, you know yourself better than anyone. Tell yourself before you get on the scale, no matter what it says, I feel better and my clothes fit differently. Good luck on your journey and welcome to MFP.
  • jwcrater31
    Options
    remember its not always about the lbs too. Its about inches and how your clothes start fitting and how you feel about yourself.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher. I like it because, even if the number stays the same or goes up, usually the next day it's back down again. I like it because it helps keep me on track and I can see if what I am doing is making a difference. If I only did a weigh in once a week, I would feel like I could eat what I wanted and make up for it later in the week.
    It's definitely a personal preference. I like to see that very tiny little bit of progress on the scale everyday. I love to get up and see that today I am 0.4lbs lighter than I was yesterday. Yay for me for eating the right things and for exercising. I know there are times when the scale goes up a little bit, but I also know the factors that are involved in that number that aren't related to my eating and exercise. I am still doing the right things, so I know it will go right back down again. Plus I like to see my progress chart on here go down and down and down and down every day! It definitely keeps me motivated, even when I get "stuck". When I get stuck, I blog my frustrations out on my private blog and keep going.
    Just something to think about, but it's all up to you and your personal preference. Good luck with your goals!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on how it makes you feel. For me, in the beginning seeing a 1/2 pound loss made me whoop and holler. Later in my weight loss I would not lose for 2 wks, then 1/2 pound drop.

But the scale became me nemesis and my friend had to take it and lock it in her trunk. Since then I weigh 1x month and go by my clothes. If they are tight I get on the scale............if they are loose I go buy new ones...........quick! LOL

1 time a week, same time each week, in the morning, after potty and before eating. IMHO
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday as well or every other day. This helps me see if I need to work harder. However, there is a downfall to this. When you weigh yourself it starts to get you down if you don't see the scale move. I would reccomend weighing once a week which is what I am changing to. It is great to see the weight fall off everyday just not when you plateau.
  • LongMom
    LongMom Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm a weekly weigher! That said, I'm not perfect either :) I plan for imperfection! I know I'm not going to be "good" every single day and I like the opportunity to "make up for it" later on in the week (I weigh in on Saturday mornings!). I'm a slow loser but it works for me.

See? Everyone is different! That's the beauty of life I guess :)
  • chicka200413
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, but it does make me crazy sometimes, so I would recommend once a week. Also be sure to take your measurements! I haven't lost ANY weight in ONE month!!!!! but I've lost 3 inches in my waist...
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    Options
    You also need to be aware that different scales are different. If you didn't weigh yourself on your home scale then you are not going to get an accurate comparison. It's like apples and oranges. One you decide how often you want to weigh you need to set a time of day and conditions. Usually when you weigh at the doctors it is full dresses and often with shoes and depending on the time of your apointment it could be before or after meals. I weigh once a week, in the morning, in my underware after haveing used the toilet, but before eating. That is the weight that I use for the check in here. I also check my weight occationally durring the week at the same time, just to keep my mind on track. You can do once a month if that works for you, but whatever then number on the scale says, don't let that discourage you. Remember this is about getting healtier not about numbers.
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    I weigh daily. It helps me to know if I am on track or not. If it goes down I know I am doing good, up and I need to rethink what I am doing.