Average calroies in a Chinese

Options
How much calories do you think are in a

1 chow main (big tub)
1 portion of fried rice (small)
Chicken balls (10)

A know cals go up or down depending of how its cooked or what they put in it so just wondering on average thanks

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Have you searched through the entries available in your food diary? Pretty sure all kinds of Chinese food is listed.
  • darrenlad
    darrenlad Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah theirs none take away ones
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    The serving of fried rice is roughly 2 cups. Right there is a lot of calories and sodium

What I've done is looked it up in the food diary, and chose the closest that I could to what I was having. Unless there are calories listed at the restaurant, you'll just have to wing it.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Lots and lots, best not thinking about it and only eating it as a treat now and again (says a chinese food loving Scotsman) ;-)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There's a database entry for something like "average Chinese buffet" and I tend to use that, think it's about 1,000 calories. Easy to find anyway. But I also then choose the healthiest options possible, i.e boiled rather than fried rice, vegetable options, soup, and withs like beef with ginger and spring onion, prawns in oyster sauce, chicken in black bean. And I use portion control. It's still never going to be healthiest meal, but it's fine as an occasional treat... Also worth seeking out the better places, they vary hugely!
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I started trying to log what I had last time and the calories on the database vary enormously - like between 80- 500 calories per wonton (that's ridiculous, but I think it's just an impossible thing to guess).

I added a few things up to about a 1000 and tried not to think about it too much.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Easily 1000 if not more, plus the oil etc
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Over9000.jpg
  • mich1902
    mich1902 Posts: 182
    Options
    i'd use the supermarkey equivalent but use cals for 1.5 portions
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Over9000.jpg

haha so good

but in all seriousness, if you eat that much in one sitting then that is a concern and not normal. I would eat maybe half of that before I was improving my diet to lose weight...
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    I have the same trouble. My family gets chineese take out once every 2 weeks or so, if you dont get anything its a problem so I try to stay away from the sauces. I normaly get a young chow fried rice and a prawn cocktail stater, I can only eat half of the rice. Im pretty sure its higher in cals that mfp says so I over estimate and if im over my cals pretend its a cheat day. lol.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How much calories do you think are in a

1 chow main (big tub)
    1 portion of fried rice (small)
    Chicken balls (10)

A know cals go up or down depending of how its cooked or what they put in it so just wondering on average thanks

i had chicken chow mein a couple of weeks ago, its in the database, i think it was about 800 cals for a big tray.

to be honest though, noone needs chow mein AND rice with chicken balls!

edit to add: if you're on about deep fried battered chicken balls, i woudl say at LEAST 100 cals per ball.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could be at least 1,000, maybe 1,500.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'd suspect it to be in the billions.

So not a regular meal, right?

There are alternative choices you could make that would be healthier if you just wanted something 'Chinese' but if only those will do, then just assume it's an exceptionally high day. And prepare for a lot of water weight over the next three days.