Weight Maintenance - why is this harder than I thought?

Options
I just recently lost 35 pounds. I was 160 and decided I needed a change. My original goal was 135, but when I reached it and attempted to maintain my weight, I lost 5 more pounds. Then again, 5 more pounds. I am currently at 124 pounds.

Now, I know this sounds like such a horrible problem (that was written in my sarcasm font). But honestly, I need help.

Have you hit your weight loss goal? Have you had trouble reprogramming your brain from diet mode to maintenance mode?

Any advice would be helpful!

Replies

• Chebeau
    Chebeau Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Where does your weight fall on the weight chart/ height range? Is it within the limit or are you below that? Are you feeling too thin or does this lower weight suit your body? If it is truly concerning you, I recommend speaking with your doctor.

Congrats on the weight loss!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i wish i had your problem,lol....i guess i could say i had a similar experience as my goal was 130 1st but new in my heart i wanted to be at least 125, when i hit that i thought, ok now if i can maybe get to 120 where i knew my comfort spot would be. Once i hit that i knew it was maintenance time, then i tried a new workout dvd in dec and dropped another 4 lbs but i can't maintain it, i keep bouncing up and down 4 lbs. i still can't get my brain to eat at maintenance level when i am not exercising. if i lose that weight and can keep it off, great but i don't think i can especially when i start eating at maintenance at a regular basis...
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just recently lost 35 pounds. I was 160 and decided I needed a change. My original goal was 135, but when I reached it and attempted to maintain my weight, I lost 5 more pounds. Then again, 5 more pounds. I am currently at 124 pounds.

Now, I know this sounds like such a horrible problem (that was written in my sarcasm font). But honestly, I need help.

Have you hit your weight loss goal? Have you had trouble reprogramming your brain from diet mode to maintenance mode?

Any advice would be helpful!

Eat more food. Add a few small things daily. Have half of a bagel thin with some peanut butter. 250 calories in a matter of seconds.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    You're not even hitting your calorie goals according to your diary. Start there.

Eat more.

You can add in more calorie-dense foods like nuts or nut butters to add more calories without feeling stuffed and slightly increase your portion sizes as well. You should also eat back your exercise calories.

Congrats on your progress though! :smile:
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I started raising my calories by a hundred every three weeks till i leveled off. And i switched back to full fat foods in my favorite foods. I believe that maintaining is harder than losing for because im sorta a binger now. Lol good luck and good work:)
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Honestly, finding maintenance numbers can be almost as hard as finding the weight loss sweet spot. You must increase your calories and as with weight loss, give it time. You may find you lose a bit more at first, but your body will adjust. I recommend increasing a bit each week rather than everything all at once. Don't worry about a few extra lbs lost, your body will find it's equilibrium and stop. Eating more and patience is the key. When you find you are maintaining within a few lbs, you have found your number. But don't expect to know this in a few days or even a week. It actually took me a couple of months to settle on the number that would allow me to maintain my weight. Best of luck to you.
  • lin7604
    Options
    ok question... so how do you know when you are at " your ideal weight"??? we may have a number in our mind or size but how do we really know we are there? That is my problem right now, thinking maybe i am where i am suppose to be even though i have a smaller number on my mind but then part of me says" oh your not trying as hard as you used to, so if you keep it up you will get there eventually", then the other part of me says.... give up, your there,lol.... how doe sone really know if we should keep trying or just maintain?
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    ok question... so how do you know when you are at " your ideal weight"??? we may have a number in our mind or size but how do we really know we are there? That is my problem right now, thinking maybe i am where i am suppose to be even though i have a smaller number on my mind but then part of me says" oh your not trying as hard as you used to, so if you keep it up you will get there eventually", then the other part of me says.... give up, your there,lol.... how doe sone really know if we should keep trying or just maintain?

That is a tough one, I knew when I could look at myself and liked what I saw, when my clothes fit the way I wanted them too and I had reached a place where I enjoyed clothes shopping again. :) It's different for everyone.

And, don't worry about a couple of lbs either way. Your body is always going to fluctuate, as long as I'm within 5 lbs (either way), I don't sweat it.
  • lin7604
    Options
    ok... for the most part i am happy but i still have a lower belly issue that i want to go away... i am happy with my size and weight for the most part, but i think like you said to have that 5 lbs variation, i need to go down a few more lbs so i am in that zone...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. Give your body time to adjust. After any major change of diet or exercise it can take a few weeks for your body to normalize.

2. Eat more. You're only consuming 1200-1500 cals most days. That's not maintenance level input
  • porvenir
    porvenir Posts: 27 Member
    Options
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I would also say, if you're not already doing some weight training, start. It will help any "problem" areas you might have, without having to worry about losing more weight, and still not being happy.