Protein Bars

Options
I have been struggling with exercise the past few weeks during a stressful time. I decided to try eating a protein/power bar 2 hours before I was due to run after work. I got on the treadmill after two weeks of being too exhausted to run, and did my best time in months, and I feel great.

i just wondered if others eat protein bars and if you do what brand do you go for. I know they are high in calories, but I worked it into my allowance.

I am interested to know what others think. :smile:

Replies

• RunningRatty
    Options
    I have been struggling with exercise the past few weeks during a stressful time. I decided to try eating a protein/power bar 2 hours before I was due to run after work. I got on the treadmill after two weeks of being too exhausted to run, and did my best time in months, and I feel great.

i just wondered if others eat protein bars and if you do what brand do you go for. I know they are high in calories, but I worked it into my allowance.

I am interested to know what others think. :smile:
  • moonshadow
    Options
    I also get a lose of energy during excercise. Get real weak and kinda shake. I drink a protein drink or smoothie. Makes all the difference in the world for me. Oh yea I only drink 1/2 the drink
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Protein bars are a great supplement for anyone who's pressed for time or out and about a lot. I always have a Balance bar in my back pack in case I can't eat at an important time, like pre/post-workout. I go for ones that either have low sugar or are sweetened with natural cane sugar rather than HFCS. Plus they have 40/30/30 macro splits so they fit fairly well in my macros.
  • proudmama0118
    proudmama0118 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I like eating the Slimfast Protein bars or a 100 cal pack beef jerky after my workout. Helps me recover from the workout alot quicker. On days I know I am working out really hard I will have one a bit before also. I know they aren't as high protein as some others but I am just so darn picky on flavor!
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Try Gu. I use them for bike rides and for runs. They are about 100 calories, high in carbs, but they don't have protein. They are a gel so easy to digest during your workout. I eat one when I start to feel hungry or shaky, and wash it down with water.
  • RunningRatty
    Options
    Anyone else tried Gu?
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I like Detour Triple Layer Protein bars. They taste kind of like a snickers (notice, the kind of) and Tiger Woods has been seen eating them on TV b/t holes. So if it is good enough for Tiger then I suppose it is good enough for me!
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    What is gu?
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I was told that protein shakes are really good for that, so maybe your just on the right track.