weight lifting for women

Options
Just finished the book nrolfw and I'm pretty pumped to get started! I've always been scared of weights, I have thick legs to begin with, but I've lost about 40 lbs from running over the past 2 years and let me just say, looks good with clothes on! After reading the book I'm convinces I can continue to lose fat and build muscle to make my body look and feel better. Just curious if anyone has had success with the program. Again I have never lifted so it is all so foreign to me.

Replies

• PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've just finished reading the book and can't wait to get started too!
    I have stitches in from having screws out of my hip at the moment so can't start yet but I'd be interested in following the journey with you! when are you starting?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    not that exact programme but lifting heavy weights, yes. I lost a lot of weight (I used to be obese) while lifting weights to retain lean body mass, and burning fat through a healthy diet (i.e. the TDEE minus 15-30% method). Since then I've been at maintenance, I'm currently at around 22-23% body fat and my goal is 20% while increasing lean body mass. After I started eating for maintenance I made much more gains in strength than I did eating at a deficit (this is to be expected) and I'm cycling between eating at a surplus (TDEE + 15%) to gain muscle and a deficit (TDEE -15%) to lower my body fat percentage. Currently I'm recovering from surgery (nothing exercise related) so only doing light exercise and eating at maintenance for the time being, but can't wait to get back into it. I like how I look, just want to trim the fat down here and there (so to speak) and also gain strength and maybe a little more definition (I'll see how that goes, I might cut lower than 20% body fat, depending on how I look when I get there)

The good thing about this is you can take it to where you want. If you want the ripped looks with abs, you can cut your body fat down to 15%. If you want the "softer" look, you can keep your body fat percentage a bit higher than that (e.g. 20-25%). Either way your muscles will make you look fit and firm, and there are many, many health benefits from lifting, like a lower risk of osteoporosis and just generally feeling stronger and agile.
  • punkinrn
    punkinrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    im hoping to start in the next few weeks. my husband is currently on the healthy bandwagon so i was able to talk him into buying the equipment for home. I do great working out at home, i have a treadmill i run on every day and an elliptical. If I have to get in my car and drive to go work out, not gonnna happen. Especially with two little ones. I work 12 hour shifts so I just cant justify taking them to a sitter on my days off to go work out.
  • punkinrn
    punkinrn Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    the book suggest sticking to the 40/30/30 rule. Opinion on that? Prior I've just counted calories. I know that doesn't work for building muscle and strength. So I've been trying to stick to 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat
  • PhoenixRising11
    PhoenixRising11 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about that 40/30/30 and it seems the best way in general to eat for all round nutrition?
    I've taken a lot of foods out of my diet from looking at calories though, It's made me realise certain foods have more fat and bad things than the taste is worth! :)

I'm going to follow the nutrition from NROWL4W.