The Last 20, How Did You Do It?

Options
I am looking for some folks who have succeeded in knocking off the last 20.

Replies

• dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    bump?
  • NaeNaeJanae
    NaeNaeJanae Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! Good question.... ??
  • kandienicole
    Options
    bump
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You lose it slowly. Aim for 1/2 lb per week should be the goal. Or if you want 20% less than tdee. I love to workout and i generally suggest a program the incorporates weight training and some cardio. I am in my final cut for the summer. I have about 4-5% more body fat to get abs. I eat 2500 calories (35/40/25 macros) and i am 5'11, 30 and 195
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Patiently.

I hit a plateau and was only targeting 0.5 lb per week at that point. Decided to concentrate on my fitness, reducing body fat, and how well my clothes fitted whilst weighing in once a month. It worked, I got there.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Same as the first 40. Small deficit and hard work.mixed with a generous portion of patience:)
  • dsjohndrow
    Options
    You lose it slowly. Aim for 1/2 lb per week should be the goal. Or if you want 20% less than tdee. I love to workout and i generally suggest a program the incorporates weight training and some cardio. I am in my final cut for the summer. I have about 4-5% more body fat to get abs. I eat 2500 calories (35/40/25 macros) and i am 5'11, 30 and 195

I am running 20 miles per week, plus I weight train 2 days (30 mins) with some warm up and cool down cardio. I tried eating more and I gained weight. I guess 55 is a lot different that 30.
  • Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Keep focused on the goal - lower calorie intake (which shouldn't be too hard as you shouldn't feel as hungry) and increase activity level. And ...the closer you get to goal the less forgiving the scale is to those occasional eating indiscretions and missed activity days!
  • psuLemon
    Options

I am running 20 miles per week, plus I weight train 2 days (30 mins) with some warm up and cool down cardio. I tried eating more and I gained weight. I guess 55 is a lot different that 30.

How much did you eat and how long. Also what types of food did you eat? If you increase carbs or calories for a short period of tjme, its just water retention. Also, running that much will require a good amount of calories. The only difference between 55 and 30 is the amount of muscle you have. Your metabolism is slower because you have less. But we can adjust for that.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    For me, it doesn't seem possible to lose the last 20. I have spent 2-1/2 years trying everything.....eating more, eating less, more fat, less fat, more protein less protein, more carbs, less carbs - Paleo, low glycemic index.... well I have tried everything (for 3-4 months at a time to try to develop a pattern)...it simply will.not.come.off. I have exercised more, less, blah blah.

Apparently my body likes this last 20 pounds. The good news is that this time I have not let that depress me or deter me and I stay focused on the big picture of fitness and health - so I keep walking, jogging, elliptical, biking, some strength training, and reasonably watching what I eat.

By the way... I am almost 59. Don't know if the age and slower metabolism plays a role here but .... oh well.

Who knows, maybe someday the body will say - oh wait! she doesn't WANT these 20 pounds!!! LOL
  • dsjohndrow
    Options

How much did you eat and how long. Also what types of food did you eat? If you increase carbs or calories for a short period of tjme, its just water retention. Also, running that much will require a good amount of calories. The only difference between 55 and 30 is the amount of muscle you have. Your metabolism is slower because you have less. But we can adjust for that.

My nutritionist upped it for 5 weeks (2200) and I gained 17 pounds. I eat pretty much 35% / 35% / 30%. The carbs are almost exclusively from veggies, fruit, beans and an occasional slice of whole grain wheat bread. The protein is from fish, chicken, lean red meat and beans - occasional turkey. The fats are from meat, fish, poultry EVOO and nuts. I eat 1550 -1650 a day.

As a runner, I often eat the bulk of my carbs a few hours before I run, and work on the protein when I am done. My strength training (recovering from surgery) is a standard machine circuit working all the muscle groups. 14 machines, 10 reps each. I also cross-train one day on the bike, the ice skates, or spinning.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    How many calories? Also what where your calories before hand?
  • dsjohndrow
    Options

I edited them in.

They are 1550-1650 now. I have returned pretty close to where I was. At 2200 I gained 17 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am on my last few pounds, I am trying not to focus on food too much but trying to exercise - easier said than done!
  • DazzlnDiva
    Options
    Sounds like a plateau to me. Sounds like your body has adjusted to what you've been doing. You're doing the same routines over and over again and your body is comfortable with what you're doing. Maybe you should try a program like insanity to mix it up or try calorie shifting, or maybe even revamp your entire workout routine every 4 weeks. You might also try doing a vegan diet for 30 days to see if the scale moves. Don't give up.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I edited them in.

They are 1550-1650 now. I have returned pretty close to where I was. At 2200 I gained 17 pounds in 5 weeks.

There probably was a lot of water in there from the additional carbs and immediate increases in calories. You would have to eat 60,000 calories above your tdee to gain that much in fat. Btw, how much you losing at 1600 calories per day?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also any chance you can open your food diary?
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Super topical for me as I hit 55 pounds down with 20 to go today. I plan to monitor this post, but I'm changing my workouts to include Crossfitness. I think a change of routine along with the difficult change of eating more, but smaller meals through the day is my initial plan in getting my last 20 off.

One helpful thing I've already read, is to think more in terms of a 1/2 pound a week at this time. I had to toss my old clothes, my physical abilities are the best in years, so if the last 20 take longer, I need to focus on NSV's and just keep up the good habits I developed for myself over this last six months.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i started off at 174...worked my way down to 168ish and discovered mpf. i joined in Oct i think...and lost 14lbs in 3 months. eating right, exercising. jan i hit a plateu. im stuck at 155. i still have another 20 that id like to lose. so jan i kinda was on and off the wagon, but i have upped my calories from 1200 to 1300. training for a half marathon in may and i hope to lose thse last suckers by then!! rellokin at what im eastin and how im exerciseing gooood luck