Trouble running...not because of legs though

Options
I am wondering if anyone else who carries all their weight on top has trouble jogging (even slowly). I weigh 173 lbs and am 5'41/2". I have alot of fat on my upper back area and always have. Even when I lose weight I look out of proportion because my back is FAT! Problem is...I have always wanted to jog but have excruciating pain in my upper back when I do....I suppose its because of the fat in this area putting stress on my upper back bones. I am not big breasted and have worn sports bras that just doesnt help. Does anyone have any ideas that could get me out and jogging without pain? I hate walking. Thanks:sad:

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping good posture when you run? Standing up straight, not bending over at the waist? Keeping your shoulders down, arms loose at your side? Not pumping with your arms for momentum and tensing up? Keeping your head up and looking ahead not staring down at your feet?

Any of those things will cause pain for any runner. Posture is a critical part of running.
  • finickyfeline2
    finickyfeline2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I will check my posture and see if this helps. I have never noticed that I do those things but sometimes it is something simple like that. Thanks
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, so I don't know if my idea is valid. But I've seen bras that are designed to assist with posture. Or even the back braces that people who work with heavy objects use on their jobs. Would something like that help?

Or maybe, do some strength exercises to build muscle in that area, maybe it's a muscle weakness that's causing fatigue that leads to pain?
  • aimeev2
    aimeev2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree on core strengthening exercises. When I started running I was surprised to find how much it whittled my middle. Running takes core strength. Because of your body type you might just want to do some ab and core work before, or while, you build up miles. And good for you for trying I out!
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I agree on core strengthening exercises. When I started running I was surprised to find how much it whittled my middle. Running takes core strength. Because of your body type you might just want to do some ab and core work before, or while, you build up miles. And good for you for trying I out!

^^^ This +100. Excellent advice.

Also step lightly, mid foot plants & not hard heel strikes....think about going to a minimalist shoe (slowly). Dont worry about speed or how silly you imagine you look to others, but enjoy the experience, look around you, relax & check out the scenery, (ah damn I need to run lol)....remember, step lightly, relax, enjoy & work on your core.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    A couple things may be at play or at least working on them will help. Posture is a big thing. We think we're fine until something hurts or somebody points something out. You don't want to really be bent over as you run and don't need to bring your legs too far forward. Concentrate on posture. It may mean you fatigue differently at first because your body is getting used to this new position. How are your feet landing? You want to heel strike as little as possible. A nice midfoot strike will suit you well. When you heel strike the shock goes straight up your body. Do you have good shoes which are properly fitted to your foot? What about your gait? It wouldn't hurt to go to a runner's store and have them check your gait vs what shoes you have. If you're overweight I would recommend against minimalist shoes. They don't have the cushioning and you'll be hurting and miserable even as you get used to them. When you slim down to an acceptable weight and become proficient in running, then you should look at minimalist running. Sports bras.... well... I'm a guy. You're on your own with this one. I would suggest checking with sports stores and different companies to see what they have to offer. One may help you more than another.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    A couple things may be at play or at least working on them will help. Posture is a big thing. We think we're fine until something hurts or somebody points something out. You don't want to really be bent over as you run and don't need to bring your legs too far forward. Concentrate on posture. It may mean you fatigue differently at first because your body is getting used to this new position. How are your feet landing? You want to heel strike as little as possible. A nice midfoot strike will suit you well. When you heel strike the shock goes straight up your body. Do you have good shoes which are properly fitted to your foot? What about your gait? It wouldn't hurt to go to a runner's store and have them check your gait vs what shoes you have. If you're overweight I would recommend against minimalist shoes. They don't have the cushioning and you'll be hurting and miserable even as you get used to them. When you slim down to an acceptable weight and become proficient in running, then you should look at minimalist running. Sports bras.... well... I'm a guy. You're on your own with this one. I would suggest checking with sports stores and different companies to see what they have to offer. One may help you more than another.

First let me state that I am not trying to argue or embarrass anyone. Runners need to stick together and help each other; but I disagree and the facts support me.

Running minimalist forces you to stride & foot plant the correct way. I promise, you wont heel strike but once while running barefoot or minimalist...lol! Oh yeah, trust me on this.

Control running shoes weaken our feet and force us to run in an unnatural manner. Barefoot or minimalist running nurtures our natural running style. Our feet are designed to roll and flex, the arch is suppose to act as does the leaf spring in a car....pronation and supination are natural dynamics. Over pronation is a result of weak arches, dont get arch supports, strengthen the feet by walking every chance you get without shoes. Engineered running shoes nurture dependance on them.

I had to laid off running for 2 years and I currently weigh 238#. I have 3 pair of Asics Kayano, 2 being brand new. Kayano is designed for the big runner. I have had issues for years with shin splints.

2-3 weeks ago on a lark I bought a pair of New Balance Minimus & hit the road & damn did my feet ache. I went easy, rested, and my feet quit hurting and not one issue from the shins! Ive run 4-5 days this past week, twice in excess of 1 hour & cant quit smiling.

I hope you try running minimalist. Your feet will ache at first so ease into it, but give it an honest effort. You will be happy with the results.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about running, I am mostly a walker myself. I have notest that as my core strenthens as well as my body in general , I can go harder on my walks. I do agree that strengthing your back should help.
  • finickyfeline2
    finickyfeline2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow am I glad i posted this question. Such wonderful advice from all of you here. I can't wait to start following some of your advice. My core is definitely a problem and believe it or not I have never considered that to be part of my issue. Never even tried to use the mid foot strike........always used the heel. Such an amateur and I now have hope for being a runner!! Thanks again to everyone!:bigsmile:
  • Shampres
    Shampres Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for about four years now, and I can't imagine not running, so I want you to be able to run and know how good it feels too! I suggest you go to a running store that has group runs. There are a lot in my area, so I bet your local store has some social runs too. The reason for the social run is so that you can run with people and they usually have coaches, so you could have a coach check the posture that everyone is mentioning, and while you're there get fitted for a sports bra. I know you said you aren't top-heavy, but the right bra makes all the difference, and something 50% of us aren't wearing the right size.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, core strength is a big part of running. Your legs are moving, but what is supporting the rest of you? Core training/ upper body strength training will help a lot with this. Good Luck.