Eating Clean: Did it work for you?

Options
Hey guys,

So I am just starting out ( again...for the millionth time,) and I am doing research on eating clean. It seems simple enough, whole grains and foods, as close to nature as possible. I already don't eat any meat, but I do eat a lot of dairy, and far too many processed foods. I was wondering if anyone has had success with this method and if they have any tips for getting off the ground. I'm a little worried that diving straight into something so vastly different from what I am doing now, is going to derail me very shortly.

Thanks!
-C

Replies

• Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Is this something you are going to do even after you lose weight? If not, I wouldn't even start unless you are ready to make a permanent life style change.

For me.. I could never do it.. I prefer to eat like I always have..just smaller portions..

My suggestion is to eat the way you plan on eating AFTER you lose the weight...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its all about calories. You dont need to eat clean. Maybe try 80% clean. Also, why did you cut out meat? Its very healthy for you and packed with good fats and protein. If anything cut out processed meats. Chicken, lean steaks, duck, bison, turkey, fish, etc are all healthy. Also if you arent going to do it for the rest of you life, its not worth doing.
  • bhcate
    bhcate Posts: 6
    Options
    I goal is to make a lifestyle change where I find a balance. Being realistic, I know I cannot live a life where I never eat my family's mac and cheese every again, but I would like to find a way where 80% of the time i am eating wholesome, good foods and save the pistachio ice cream for occasions, not a daily indulgence. I need structure with some wiggle room, and while I do agree I should not embark on something that crazy strict while I loose weight, because it will only backfire on me in the end.

Is this obtainable?
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary - I have tried to do this and it SO works. Basically anything that has more than a couple of ingredients - I don't eat it and if that means that I have plan what I eat so much better. This is also a great incentive not to keep grabbing stuff when you are out of the house. If I have to go to a cafe with the kids because they want to eat, I just have hot water.
  • NudlBea
    NudlBea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Is this something you are going to do even after you lose weight? If not, I wouldn't even start unless you are ready to make a permanent life style change.

For me.. I could never do it.. I prefer to eat like I always have..just smaller portions..

My suggestion is to eat the way you plan on eating AFTER you lose the weight...

I agree with this point. I have also been confused as to how to approach my diet, there are so many choices!! Eating clean, cutting out meat, cutting out carbs, but like Guamybear (sp?) said, we should try to eat like we plan to eat for the rest of our lives bc at the end of the day this is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE, not a diet. Once we see it a diet, forget it! SO yea, smaller portions, balanced diet and controlling calorie intake just makes more sense and seems much healthier in the long run.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary too. I'm a veg as well and getting into the habit of checking all the labels really got me thinking what kind of crap is in some of the processed foods... I really don't eat completely clean, but I like to experiment with food and try out new recipies. You just really have to either like cooking already or get to live with having to do it :D
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Look at my diary - I have tried to do this and it SO works. Basically anything that has more than a couple of ingredients - I don't eat it and if that means that I have plan what I eat so much better. This is also a great incentive not to keep grabbing stuff when you are out of the house. If I have to go to a cafe with the kids because they want to eat, I just have hot water.

How is it working that you enjoy some hot water with your kids? What part of it is "working"?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I goal is to make a lifestyle change where I find a balance. Being realistic, I know I cannot live a life where I never eat my family's mac and cheese every again, but I would like to find a way where 80% of the time i am eating wholesome, good foods and save the pistachio ice cream for occasions, not a daily indulgence. I need structure with some wiggle room, and while I do agree I should not embark on something that crazy strict while I loose weight, because it will only backfire on me in the end.

Is this obtainable?

You can. Its all about calories. When you eat unhealthy, realize its 1 day. Just exercise hard so you can eat more. Most ctive women i know eat 1700-2100 calories a day.
  • bhcate
    bhcate Posts: 6
    Options
    I gave up eating meat ( and this is not a soapbox of any kind, I'm just giving my reason) because commercial meat farming is something I don't support, and try to participate in as little as possible. And I know, I know, I still eat dairy, but I try t go organic or free range if possible. Also, I love to cook and feel like i could live on nothing but mangoes sometimes, but we all know that door swings both ways.

I want to make a change for the better, and not be naive about it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Is this obtainable?

You can. Its all about calories. When you eat unhealthy, realize its 1 day. Just exercise hard so you can eat more. Most ctive women i know eat 1700-2100 calories a day.

^^agreed. I eat ice cream every day - I fit it in. I also eat a bunch of fruits and veggies, hit my fat macro from a variety of different sources and hit my protein macro.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I eat 75% clean, just because I enjoy cooking from scratch and knowing that I'm fuelling my body with clean energy. You can lose weight, burn fat eating mcdonalds every day, but that would make me feel like crap.
  • runforsummer
    runforsummer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love eating mostly clean foods simply because they make me feel so good and full of energy!
    However, I find when I don't let myself eat what I'm craving (homemade cookies, or other desserts, or whatever), just end up eating tons of healthy foods that should be eaten in moderation such as raisins (I know, it's weird), cashews, heirloom quinoa cereal, etc. Although those are healthy foods, I'm eating way too much to the point where I would've been better off just eating what I wanted. Overall, yes, clean eating is great, but don't be too strict.
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Other than eating a processed lunch, like lean cuisine or weight watchers meals, almost everything I eat is fairly natural. Amazing how much more full it makes you feel. I haven't eaten a slice of white bread since end Sept. I used to have white toast for breakfast, a sandwich often made with white bread for lunch and another slice of bread for an after work snack. I now eat oatmeal for breakfast along with a banana and clementine. Snacks are apple slices or raw carrots and dinner is most often something homemade in the slowcooker. Don't know if it's considered clean eating, but it's def healthier than i was eating.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    What I would suggest is eat the way you normally do in moderation then slowly add in new recipes and food that fit into the "clean" lifestyle. This way you will eventually have the best of both worlds.

I think to just dive in gung-ho might backfire on you.. I don't eat clean my any means but I have added some "clean recipes" from websites that I just love and added some new foods...like eating more whole grain that I ever did before..

There is a balance that we just have to find.
  • Relouw
    Relouw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you are researching eating clean perhaps you would find Tosca Reno's books useful. My daughter has battled her weight for years and has found eating clean is the answer for her as she has maintained her weight loss for about 3 years now. Personally I cannot eat this way and I find calorie counting works best for me along with MFP.
  • amadilla
    amadilla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    So I think what I've been doing is "eating clean" , just never put a name to it. Its only been about a month, and I kind of made up my new way of eating myself.
    I decided to stop buying food off the shelf for the most part. I try to buy just fresh veggies and meat and barely any bready-type foods...which is mostly what my diet used to consist of.

Trail mix is great - i get the mix with craisins and dark choc - i could never give up chocolate!
    as soon as i get home from the store i portion it out into mini containers. 1/4 cup = 150cal
    I also use a food scale to measure out chicken or salmon or whatever meat.
    Measuring the food is key!!
    Sometimes I portion everything right when i get home from the store - like chicken - ill cut it up and weigh it and freeze it in baggies so its ready to go when its time to cook!

I love creamy type salad dressings and sauces and sour cream -
    I use fat free Greek yogurt - I pretend its sour cream
    last night i wanted blue cheese dressing on my salad, so I measured out 1 Tbl blue cheese dressing and mixed it with the greek yogurt..it didnt take away from the blue cheese flavor and it was great.
    theres many other things i'd like to try with the greek yogurt.

I use almond milk instead of cows milk and egg beaters instead of regular eggs.
    both have less calories and fat and 0 cholesterol -

I put lemon slices in my water - helps me drink more water!

An awesome desert I love - not sure if its considered eating clean but
    fat free cool whip with strawberries and blueberries - so good
    and if you mix some cool whip with a choc pudding snack pack its like chocolate mousse - so good!

K, I'm rambling.
    Not sure if this helps, but these are some of the things I do!
    Good luck!
  • godsgirldre
    Options
    The way I look at clean eating is that if food is processed, it often loses nutrients. If I am eating food that contains fat and calories but doesn't contain enough nutrients, I will still feel hungry because my body is not getting everything it needs. Clean eating also means I avoid all the foods I would typically overindulge in. I allow one cheat a week of something like wings or fries but try to eat clean the rest of the time. It was hard to get used to at first but it's really paying off in terms of having more energy and clearer skin, less bloating, less mood swings and my taste buds are changing to the point that I really enjoy simple foods. Very strange for a former pizza, chinese food, fast food and diet coke junkie.
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been attempting to switch to a clean eating lifestyle over the past 6 months. This is NOT something you can do over night. You have to take baby steps... cut out a couple processed foods a week. My shopping bill is more expensive, I spend more time cooking, and more time hunting for clean recipes but it's worth it! I still eat processed foods occasionally (Tuna Helper for dinner tonight because it's just easier to cook).

However, eating out has become almost obsolete. It makes me sicker than a dog now. And the illness is almost instantaneous after eating. Has happened at a few restaurants.

A good resource I started with was 100daysofrealfood.com
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you're starting out again for the millionth time, why not set your sites on something achievable that actually works. Perhaps something like.....eating whatever foods you like while maintaining a moderate calorie deficit. If you want to get jiggy with it add in some exercise.

Seems a lot more realistic than completely changing your eating, shopping, and coming habits overnight. I've heard people have had success with this "eat less, mice more" plan