Lost 2 pounds no diet or exercise, now what?

Options
For 3 weeks in a row I was eating around my calories, working out 3 times a week (spinning, treadmill + weights) and didn't lose a single pound. This last week I just took a break and didn't do any exercise, which is bad because I have a desk job, so I am sitting on my *kitten* pretty much 95% of the day, ate what I pleased without thinking of calories (chocolates, desert pretty much every night, McDonald's breakfast sandwich...) and I lost 2 pounds!!!!

This has happened before, last time during the holidays. Believe it or not I lost weight after Xmas. Then I went back to being good for 3 weeks after which I didn't gain but didn't lose either.

Please help me understand what is going on and what should I do to lose the 10 pounds I still need to lose. I don't think the answer is stop eating well, counting calories and exercising all together... that's what started the problem in the first place... this is very confusing!

Replies

• bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The junk food did not make you lose weight! Sometimes the weight comes off or goes on slightly later. I used to find this when I did Weight Watchers.

Just keep at the exercise and if you think that you are eating too many calls, cut down or eat more protein.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Its water weight. You stop exercising, you release water weight. Plus, if you stop dieting, you can also release some water weight It's a one off release and will not continue. It has nothing to do with fat.
  • Anzsjela
    Anzsjela Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for answering! Sarauk I think you might be right. I also lost half an inch around my waist! I will get back on track this week and lower my calories.
  • csheltra26
    csheltra26 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I can't view your diary - I want to make sure you are eating enough. I was eating 1500 calories a day and burning 700-800 a day and couldn't lose any weight - I was only netting 800-900 calories a day, not enough to sustain my body and my metabolism nearly stopped working.

Make sure you figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and eat no more than 20% less. This will keep you from losing too much muscle and keep your metabolism working properly. Will also be best for maintenance.
  • theWinchester
    theWinchester Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well, but I lost 4 pounds. I wasn't eating fast food but I was eating enough. Before I was eating too little and exercising too much I didn't feel hungry but I wasn't losing weight.

This video explains it better:
    http://youtu.be/eYi9xjIRvbY
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for answering! Sarauk I think you might be right. I also lost half an inch around my waist! I will get back on track this week and lower my calories.

Whether you should lower your calories depends on your goal and how much you've been eating. If you open your diary we can give you suggestions.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    please explain your screen name
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    please explain your screen name

Yes, please. Does that mean what I think it means?
  • Anzsjela
    Options
    First. Thank you soooo much for the info, it definitively helps!

Second. The name was just me being lazy to think about something LOL... I just happened to notice it is kind of a bad name for this sort of site. I am not anorexic, I love and enjoy my food, the only mental illness I have is a terrible addiction to chocolate. I will open my diary but there wont be much because just today I started logging my calories again.

My TDEE is 1773 or that's what a website said... and MFP says I should eat 1270 calories to lose 1 pound per week. Before the miracle week I was having average 1500 calories. Do you guys think I should go with MFP number? I have a desk job, 8 hr shifts, dont do much walking because it is brutally cold here, but go to the gym twice or 3x week.

I appreciate everyone's participation and help and how you guys have a nice lazy sunday :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    First. Thank you soooo much for the info, it definitively helps!

Second. The name was just me being lazy to think about something LOL... I just happened to notice it is kind of a bad name for this sort of site. I am not anorexic, I love and enjoy my food, the only mental illness I have is a terrible addiction to chocolate. I will open my diary but there wont be much because just today I started logging my calories again.

My TDEE is 1773 or that's what a website said... and MFP says I should eat 1270 calories to lose 1 pound per week. Before the miracle week I was having average 1500 calories. Do you guys think I should go with MFP number? I have a desk job, 8 hr shifts, dont do much walking because it is brutally cold here, but go to the gym twice or 3x week.

I appreciate everyone's participation and help and how you guys have a nice lazy sunday :)

The 1,200 will not include exercise so you can eat more as you go to the gym.

If explains it more here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Also, there is an explanation about setting your targets here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Anzsjela
    Options
    Sara, thank you for taking the time to follow up. I love the Eat, Train, Progress group, lots of info there. And also wanted to say you look absolutely amazing!

Gained 1.5 pounds this week, eating about average 1500 calories per day and 2 spinning classes (yayyy, back to the gym). I guess the water is back! lol

I cant eat less than 1400 or so, its going to be tough to go with MFP recommendation, even cutting off candy and chocolates I get hungry dammit!!!!

Gotto get some chicken tomorrow and plan the meals for the week. Here we go again!
  • Anzsjela
    Options
    Hey! I didnt know I could change my username :smile: