curious

ccdo
ccdo Posts: 217
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
just wonderin is it possible to gain muscle durin cardio alone without doin weigths at all/ and another question is that i burn off 3500 a week and im still not loosin but im gaining cm's again why is this happenin? i eat 1200 a day always

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    If you're eating 1200 per day and burning off 3500 calories per week, you're not eating enough. And yes, you gain muscle by doing cardio. When I run, my legs get stronger, so yes, it's possible. :) It just depends on where you want the muscle and how you're going about getting it. For legs, running of course, stair master & stationary bike are all great for that... jumping rope is AMAZING for sculpting muscles and it's just basic exercise to get your heart pumping. Hope that helps!
  • boniekatie
    boniekatie Posts: 147
    First, if you have been inactive and begin a cardio routine you will build some muscle because you are using muscles to do the cardio (usually in the legs).
    Second, you might not be eating enough. If you stick to 1200 cal but then do cardio to burn more your body may be slipping into starvation mode. I know it sounds strange, but it's not just about math. Try eating at least half of your exercise calories and see if it makes a difference. Also make sure you are getting enough protien and water.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    For starters you cannot gain muscle if you are in a calorie deficit. To put any type of weight on be it fat or muscle you have to eat more than you burn, so that is not happening with you based on the info provided.

What it probably is, is that you are measuring in a slightly different spot or not pulling the tape as tight. Getting accurate measurements it quite hard to do, especially if you are taking your own measurements.
  • ccdo
    If you're eating 1200 per day and burning off 3500 calories per week, you're not eating enough. And yes, you gain muscle by doing cardio. When I run, my legs get stronger, so yes, it's possible. :) It just depends on where you want the muscle and how you're going about getting it. For legs, running of course, stair master & stationary bike are all great for that... jumping rope is AMAZING for sculpting muscles and it's just basic exercise to get your heart pumping. Hope that helps!

that helps alot thanks very much :flowerforyou:
  • ccdo
    First, if you have been inactive and begin a cardio routine you will build some muscle because you are using muscles to do the cardio (usually in the legs).
    Second, you might not be eating enough. If you stick to 1200 cal but then do cardio to burn more your body may be slipping into starvation mode. I know it sounds strange, but it's not just about math. Try eating at least half of your exercise calories and see if it makes a difference. Also make sure you are getting enough protien and water.

thank you :flowerforyou:
  • ccdo
    For starters you cannot gain muscle if you are in a calorie deficit. To put any type of weight on be it fat or muscle you have to eat more than you burn, so that is not happening with you based on the info provided.

What it probably is, is that you are measuring in a slightly different spot or not pulling the tape as tight. Getting accurate measurements it quite hard to do, especially if you are taking your own measurements.

ah i see i get u now so im probably not measuring right thanks for that vital info :flowerforyou:
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member
    Well, based off what your profile says - you are around 96 pounds. My guess is your body is holding on to weight because it NEEDS that weight. I'm honestly not sure why you are trying to lose weight if you are still under 100 pounds. I don't mean it rude, just trying to be realistic about what your goals are and what is healthy for your body.
  • ccdo
    Well, based off what your profile says - you are around 96 pounds. My guess is your body is holding on to weight because it NEEDS that weight. I'm honestly not sure why you are trying to lose weight if you are still under 100 pounds. I don't mean it rude, just trying to be realistic about what your goals are and what is healthy for your body.

well im not 96lbs anymore im 100.2lbs i ccant seem to change the info of my profile im workin to tone my body not to gain weight but maintain my weight thats all :flowerforyou:
  • junipuni
    junipuni Posts: 264 Member

well im not 96lbs anymore im 100.2lbs i ccant seem to change the info of my profile im workin to tone my body not to gain weight but maintain my weight thats all :flowerforyou:
    Gotcha! My guess is that there might be some weight gain with the work you are doing toning. It could be permanent, maybe temporary but not something I think you should worry about! Measuring is somewhat tricky because it's hard to get it in the exact same spot. Good luck!
  • ccdo

Gotcha! My guess is that there might be some weight gain with the work you are doing toning. It could be permanent, maybe temporary but not something I think you should worry about! Measuring is somewhat tricky because it's hard to get it in the exact same spot. Good luck!

thanks sweetie :flowerforyou:
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Ok. So this is my advice. You might not like it. You look sickingly skinny in your photographs. You admit to weighing 100 pounds at 22 years old. My advice- see a doctor/ nutritionist and keep off this site.

I don't think you belong on a weight loss oriented site such as this one. I do think you might have an eating disorder.

Sorry to be so blunt.
This discussion has been closed.