Eating out

Options
I'm going out to dinner tonight with my family to celebrate an event. I checked the menu online and picked what looked like a healthy entree, but I really have no idea how much butter, etc. is going into it! It's not a chain restaurant and I can't find the amount of calories in their meals. Any ideas for how to pick a healthy meal and try to accurately guess the amount of calories I'll be eating? Thanks!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Ask questions! You can call ahead or do it when you order. If it is a make as you go dish, a local restaurant will be more flexible than a chain and willing to leave off the butter.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You may not be able to get the calories on what you eat but this is what I do. I allot 500 to 600 cals for dinner. If I want a glass of wine, that is about 100 cals or so. Always go for the baked or grilled (but ask if it is grilled in/with butter). Ask for sauces and dressings on the side. Ask LOTS of questions about your selection. Always remember that white sauces have the most fat and cals. Try and go for the wine sauces and vinaigrette. If ordering pasta, only eat half of the serving given to you. Order the meals with veggies and lean meats. Dessert is fruit based and if you can do sorbet... that's the way to go. I hope this helps.

Bart