water stored in fat cells fact or myth??

Options
I would like to hear both sides of a conversation on this. I have done some internet research on it and it seems to vary as to which is right.

snip:
"A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter:

"Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

This is what we have been telling folks. You lose inches but not pounds because your body plumps the fat cells. I tell them it is a complicated biochemical process that your body replaces the fat molecules with water and fluids until you exceed your bodies predetermined fluid level. Then your body will release a chemical that releases all this stored water and you get a sudden overnight loss of several pounds. Then the cycle starts over again with inches gone and the scales lag behind. "

here is a link to the full article:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/index.php/t-346933.html

thanks

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Not sure but I hope that is true, for that has been me for the past few months, down like 3 pants sizes and not one F'N ounce, some days i am actually up several pounds other days the same. I know about the scale thing but damn it , its right there in the bathroom mocking me.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have wondered this also. I know I have experienced the "whooshing" effect they speak of. Just had it happen last Wednesday, in fact. In my case, the scale seems to "catch up" at least a week or more behind when I think it should be showing progress. So I have learned to not rely on it for results as I once did (and that has done wonders for my motivation..... haha).
  • kirstie3281
    kirstie3281 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Interesting read!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    This is an article I read that talks about what you are asking about: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

According to this there's one study to support this idea and a lot of anecdotal evidence.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Oh beat me to it :laugh:

Great minds and all that.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Three of us posted the same article all in a row. It is a good one and an interesting read.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This is good news for me as i have gained two pounds but lost an inch around my stomach.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Three of us posted the same article all in a row. It is a good one and an interesting read.

I was about to post the same thing and then notice there were three posts in a row already linking it.
  • lustingforfitness
    Options

Oh beat me to it :laugh:

Great minds and all that.

Love Lyle! Thanks for posting this link, ladies.

Also I think there might be a bit of truth to this, my weight has been stalled for two months and just this week it finally seemed to kick into gear and I lost three pounds. I know that 2 lbs max is what you should lose in a week for healthy weight loss yadda yadda I'm not starving myself by any means, but I'm stoked to see that it's finally catching up with me!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    If the fat cells are plumped up,with water to retain the same volume... Why would you lose inches? Wouldn't you be the same size still?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If the fat cells are plumped up,with water to retain the same volume... Why would you lose inches? Wouldn't you be the same size still?

that's what I thought, and judging by the article posted several times on this thread, that's what happens, i.e. no noticable change then a sudden drop in scale weight combined with a loss of inches. I've known a few people on another forum that have experienced this, although I haven't experienced it myself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I didn't get that either-- the article says no change in size until the water empties out.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I love how popular Lyle is on this forum. It makes me think there are a lot of intelligent folks here.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

I didn't get that either-- the article says no change in size until the water empties out.

But it also says that water retention is why you lose inches not pounds... And I got confused. But I do have a head cold and confuse easily. I read Lyle"s article and iit made more sense.

I just had 10 pounds to lose though and it came off. Sometimes more on some weeks than others, but nothing majorly out of,proportion. And I didn't have gains or stalls. So I guess I don't have the experience to offer much of an opinion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Here is some more discussion on it:

http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/showthread.php?t=14
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the input...I too had read Lyle's article and I liked it.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    If this is coming from a Biologist at UC Berkeley, you'd better believe they know exactly what they are talking about.