Question about the calorie goal.

Options
So the goal is to HIT the calorie goal right?
If you come in under your goal, is this bad? If so, how bad and why?

Replies

• niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily bad to be under. You really don't want your net to be less than 1200 - that's really the bare minimum which you absolutely need. As long as you're above 1200 and you're not losing TOO much weight, it's okay to be under.
  • hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat as many calories as you can while still losing...even if it means you lose a little more slowly. That way, your metabolism will stay healthy and you can pack in as much nutrient dense food as you can. :) Hit that goal!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The idea is to come as close to your goal as possible. A little over or under every now and then is fine. Just make sure your Calorie goal is a reasonable one and is more than your BMR but less than your TDEE.

ETA: What hheater said.
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    My question stems because I am 330 pounds and therefore it has given me a 2150 net goal. That's with a 1000 calorie deficit. With that calorie allotment I could almost eat at mcdonalds twice a day. But when eating healthy foods, fruits, veggies, grilled or broiled meats and whatnot, it seems like a lot of food to hit that goal. More that I would imagine I should be eating. This is where my question comes from.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you cooking with oils, like olive and sesame?

Are you eating nuts?

Sometimes we have a messed up idea of what "healthy food" is and we forget about healthy fats. I calculated the other day that it would take seven pounds of broccoli to make about 1200 calories. Cook it in olive oil and your pile isn't quite as big! Have a glass of full fat milk and it shrinks again. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds...

Please, please everyone understand that the above is a simplified example, not a menu plan.
  • wickedwendy6
    wickedwendy6 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My question stems because I am 330 pounds and therefore it has given me a 2150 net goal. That's with a 1000 calorie deficit. With that calorie allotment I could almost eat at mcdonalds twice a day. But when eating healthy foods, fruits, veggies, grilled or broiled meats and whatnot, it seems like a lot of food to hit that goal. More that I would image I should be eating. This is where my question comes from.

You're right, you could eat at Maccas twice a day and the healthy food total in comparison will seem like a lot - but that is because with Maccas you get lots of calories and hardly any nutrients and with the healthy food you get lots of food AND lots of nutrients. Be kind to your body and lose weight the healthy way. ♥
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Have you ever calculated how many calories you were eating a day before? I did and realized that I ate enough for 2 or 3 people!
    I have over 2000 a day to use and have no..NO problem and go over sometimes. If I have to guess portion or calories I calculate them to be higher just to be safe. I have a very physical job too.
    I eat all day, its just what I need right now, I have a job where I never know when Ill have a moment to eat a meal so I graze.
    You will be surprised at how fast it adds up, even healthy foods like concordancia said..throw a handfull of pecans or pine nuts on your salad, top with some low fat mozz...Chobani yogurts are so yummy, if you have trouble eating breakfast, oatmeal, you can have milk, nuts, raisins, craisins even brown sugar on that.
    This is just my never so humble opinion mind you, but it works for me and Im a big girl!
    GOOD LUCK!!
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I'm not eating at McDonalds, I was just giving a frame of reference. I'm trying to eat healthy, in fact I'm snacking on a Banana right now. I'm just coming in about 3-400 calories below my goal and I was just wondering if that was bad. I imagine it won't be nearly as hard to hit the goal once I get down to a more manageable weight, as my girlfriend has only 1450 for a net goal.

Also, thanks for all the wonderful responses :)
  • hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's okay to be eating healthy, nutrient-dense food, all day long. ;) If you're within your calorie goal, go for it. Don't listen to society's rules that tell you what and how much and how often to eat. You have goals that are specifically geared toward YOUR body and YOUR goals. If you need to eat 10 times a day to get to your goal, then by golly, do it. ;) There is NO shame in eating often to fuel your body and to keep it running well. It's good to feel satiated and energized all day. EAT THE FOOD! :D