What motivated you?

Options
Hi I hope this type of question is ok here.

Im interested in knowing from both newbies and longterms users... What exactly motivated you to start losing weight/living healthier? What was that 'click' moment? And was/is your goal a permanent change or did you decide on a diet instead?

Personally something like clicked in me... For days I kept giving in to my sugar cravings thinking "Ill start eating healthier tomorrow"... Then one day I was sick of it. So I decided on a permanent change. Give up sugar and eat healthy stuff, avoid processed food.

My true motivation however, comes from me wanting to stay young for as much as possible. You'd think weight loss would be my main concern, but it isn't. Otherwise I'd probably have done something about it long time ago.

Replies

• Louiseisme
    Options
    For me it was a health assessment for work Health Insurance, when I got my numbers and the realization set in, i had avoided mirrors and scales for a while, It clicked for me, Me and coworkers all are giving each other support.
    That was almost a year ago and I am down currently 106, I don't plan to ever find those pounds again. :smile:
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I don't have too much to lose, but for me, it was not fitting into my clothes anymore and just feeling "blobby." Getting back slowly but surely.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Sadly enough my partner.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    On March 17th, 2012, I was sitting in my doctors office feeling worse than I ever have in my life and at that moment I decided to change my lifestyle or I knew I was going to an early grave. I've never looked back.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself next to my stick thin brother at his basic graduation. I remember trying to "look skinnier" in all the pictures so I just look like a hot mess. Plus, I'm not even one of those bigger girls that can get away with it because she dresses nice and knows how to put on makeup and fix her hair.
  • insearchofbees
    Options
    My "click" moment was when my doctor recommended Paleo. I tried it without very high hopes, but it made a huge difference in my Fibromyalgia pain right away, and I was sold. =)
  • Dianescraps
    Options
    It was just time, I had been steadily changing little things, and a friend asked if I wanted to go to Zumba with her. I did, I kept going, she wasn't able to due to schedule issues.
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    One year after my daughter was born I was asked if I'm pregnant again. Ooh hmm, NO. I just got fat. It was very uncomfortable for me and the other person.
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    I'm new here 25 days on Monday. There was no "Ah Ha" moment for me. I have always been a healthy eater, but that didn't mean that I didn't over eat. Combine that with long hours working and going to school, the last thing I want to do on day off was go to a gym. I found MFP after reading a Yahoo news article. I logged in and decided to give it a try. It's working and being here is motivating me to do more. I started belly dancing and hooping, Both are fun so I don't even think of them as exercise. I just love this place.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but mine was seeing a photo of myself from last Christmas. It didn't look like me anymore, so I decided to do something about it before I got any bigger. :)
    I've changed my food habits a lot and I eat healthier. :)
  • mychellelynne
    mychellelynne Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mine was being told if I wanted kids I needed to lose weight. It was not the first time I was told this but for some reason it really hit home. I started 12/28 and so far so good.
  • lippygidg
    lippygidg Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I got tired of seeing myself "hiding behind " someone else in a picture !! Im out going , love to smile and laugh. time to do it for real not just for the camera! I want front row!! ( In a cute outfit ! hahaha)
  • DivineDee
    Options
    My health over the years has gotten from bad to worst. A lot is caused by being overweight. Looking back now I wish that I had been more persistent with the weight lost but I kept putting it off. But my motto is better late than never. So here I am at 62 trying to do what I should have done years ago. But, I'm off to a great start and my motivation is higher than it was previously. If, I don't make some changes I could easily develop heart disease or even have a stroke; this is not an option. I still have a lot of living to do. Your health is so important. Your quality of life is so important. Don't hestitate or talk about tomorrow but start today. Your life could depend on it.:smile:
  • Andreaviolet89
    Andreaviolet89 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    What motivated me were a few things. I've put off getting into shape because of college but now that I'm taking my last few classes its time for change. I'm not trying to drop weight super fast or anything but more make permanent lifestyle changes for long term better health. Now that its just my boyfriend and I living together I do all the shopping and buy healthier food and cook with a lot more veggies.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with high blood pressure soon after the birth of my later in life daughter who needs me to be around for awhile.Losing my job and seeing a couple at least 25 years older than me run past my house every day while I sat on my porch and smoked. And feeling like I was smothering when I laid down every night.Now I've lost 45 pounds ( 5 more to goal) can run around and play with my daughter.Ran my first 5k last fall.Blood pressure under control.And have a much better job.!
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Getting a knee replacement and being told by the surgeon that I was really too young for one (60) and that with my weight I would probably wear it out in five years and need revision surgery which is not always successful.
    That scared the S**T out of me and I decided then that the time to begin was NOW. I want that knee to last!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Being in the hospital with a blood clot in my left lung that was trying to kill me. Plus they found a tumor in pancres that Was going to kill me.

I had tried...and failed...so many times before that it was not funny.

They got the BC under control, took out the tumor and I was in the hospital for 28 days. Not so much a "diet" but more of a lifestyle change. It worked. I shed the weight and stopped thowing blood clots.

Healthy and happier then I have ever been.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Being rejected by a lady friend .... :brokenheart:
  • sarahjaneconnell
    Options
    im getting married in july so thats wat motivating me , i wanna feel and look nice in my dress :) its my 21st birthday the same day as my wedding :) i have to look good :)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Being rejected by a lady friend .... :brokenheart:
    That's worked for me in the past too! Heartbreak is a great appetite supressent.But you'll show her!