Working out in the morning...eat before or after?

Options
RedneckWmn
RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
I have recently started working out in the morning as soon as I get up. Curious as to if anybody konws if it's a good idea to eat before or after a workout or possibly both.

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Most will agree that if you don't have enough energy for the workout or if you're having problems during the work out due to not eating, you could eat something light right before and then eat a regular-sized breakfast afterwards. This morning, I just woke up and went, then once I was done, ate my regular breakfast of cereal, and a piece of toast with cream cheese & jelly. :) You could eat a piece of fruit (bananas are quick) right before just to stave off some hunger if you're really famished.

If it's late and I don't plan on eating breakfast afterwards 'cause it'll be closer to lunch, I'll usually get a protein bar.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I work out early mornings because it works best wtih my work schedule, plus its way harder to make an excuse and talk yourself into not going (ie. didn't want go to this am but what else was I going to do).

Anyway I eat before I work out. BUT!!! I get up at 5am to eat between 5:10 and 5:20 so that when I get to the gym for 6:10 I am semi digested. You don't want to eat and then go right to the gym you will prob not feel to hot.

That is just my personal take on it.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I work out early mornings because it works best wtih my work schedule, plus its way harder to make an excuse and talk yourself into not going (ie. didn't want go to this am but what else was I going to do).

Anyway I eat before I work out. BUT!!! I get up at 5am to eat between 5:10 and 5:20 so that when I get to the gym for 6:10 I am semi digested. You don't want to eat and then go right to the gym you will prob not feel to hot.

That is just my personal take on it.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    I usually try and grab a protein bar on my way out and then eat a regular breakfast when I get back. Have been thinkig about switching to some type of shake with lots of protein after and maybe skipping the before. I already get up at 4:45 so I can get there and workout and get home to shower and everythig before work. Getting up earlier isn't an option. LOL
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5am and immediately start working out. I workout anywhere from 45-60 mins then get ready for work. Depending on what time it is, I'll make an english muffin w/peanut butter before heading out or I'll have a banana w/yogurt once I get to work (or a breakfast shake on the way). I've never had an issue with needing to eat before a workout unless it's going to be around 4pm after work, then I'll need a little something to get me though and tide me over until dinner :smile:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings now, but when I worked out in the morning I had a piece of fruit before, and then a protein-loaded breakfast afterwards. Your body burns carbs, not protein, so the sugars in the fruit give you the energy you need to get through the workout and start in on your fat stores; the protein afterwards helps rebuild your muscles.
  • AmandaB4588
    AmandaB4588 Posts: 655
    Options
    I face the same issue because I hit the gym at 5AM. I have always been told to definitely get something in your stomach beforehand, so I just have a protein shake.
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    i do both. I take kickboxing at 8 in the morning. I eat a yogurt, half a banana and half an english muffin before i go. and when i come home i eat the other half of the banana and english muffin. its not a lot but I'm one of those people that never ate anything for breakfast so ive come a long way. haha
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I walk at 5 am. It isn't a major, fat-burning workout but it jump-starts my day. I have to take a med on an empty stomach an hour before breakfast so I take the med, then I walk 3 miles - usually 45 minutes. After that, I eat Fiber one or Oatmeal. It works well. I tried to eat before I walk but I just don't want anything that early. I figure the med jumpstarts my metabolism. That's the main reason you want something, to get the metabolism going. At least that's what I have heard! Not an expert!!!! LOL
  • beatnik
    beatnik Posts: 8
    Options
    my sports dietician recommends a small carb snack before and protein afterwards.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advise!
  • virtualsuperstar
    Options
    hello!! i always work out on an empty stomach as i easily get stitches, then i have a healthy breakfast like fruit and cereal with juice, it really kick starts my metabolism for the day!

xx