Underarm fat..

Options
You know what I'm talking about. Flexing, having muscle definition on the top..but can't seem to get that flab away. HOW CAN I??
What are some things that can help? I want nice arms (all of my arms, not just the top and middle, underneath too!)

I heard arm circles help, I've done these a lot, is this true?

Replies

• groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    More muscle seems to help a lot, but really it has been all over fat loss that helped mine the most. I still have a little underarm flab, but it is way better.

I haven't found arm circles to be effective at all. I think weights help build muscle and overall cardio and eating clean reduces the fat everywhere.

Good luck!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    To get rid of fat, you have to lose fat, period. You can add muscle to that area as well, but it won't get rid of the fat. To add muscle, lift weights. Not pastel colored barbie weights, but actual barbells, dumbbells, and/or kettlebells that weigh more than your purse, grocery shopping bag, or a small infant.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Arm circles work your shoulder muscles, not your triceps. Do them for five minutes straight and see where you feel it.

Google exercises for triceps - extensions, dips, etc.
  • groversa
    Options
    To get rid of fat, you have to lose fat, period. You can add muscle to that area as well, but it won't get rid of the fat. To add muscle, lift weights. Not pastel colored barbie weights, but actual barbells, dumbbells, and/or kettlebells that weigh more than your purse, grocery shopping bag, or a small infant.

Lol, I've been working on weights lately..and yes. They are heavier than all of the above.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Keep on eating at a calorie defelict and do strength training. Two good startig programs would be stronglifts-5x5 OR The New Rules of Lifting for Women. These will help transform your entire body and not just your triceps as you specified. If you want ideas of just tricep works then you could look here : httwww.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=Triceps
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Reduce bf%. Lift leavy - kettlebell start at 12kg, dumbells start at 7kg. Use your own bodyweight for seated dips. That's all you can do!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I went from doing 30+ reps with five pound weights (wrong, I know) to 10 lb. weights, 12 reps three times per day. After two weeks my arm flaps were noticeably less. I read on a fitness blog that if you can do more than 12 or so reps of a certain weight, it's time to move up to a higher weight. I'm using that rule as my guide.
  • lollyish
    lollyish Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.
    Triceps, triceps, triceps.
    Do one day of weights, one day of cardio- I did triceps every day regardless of what day or what body part I was working out. LIFT HEAVY!
  • groversa
    Options
    I went from doing 30+ reps with five pound weights (wrong, I know) to 10 lb. weights, 12 reps three times per day. After two weeks my arm flaps were noticeably less. I read on a fitness blog that if you can do more than 12 or so reps of a certain weight, it's time to move up to a higher weight. I'm using that rule as my guide.

Thats a great way to think of it! Thanks!!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Not pastel colored barbie weights

But...I love my little, pink, one pound weights.!!! I had to start somewhere! (laughing, 'cause it's true)

I am a very old lady and spend my time in a wheelchair or desk chair. I have joined MFP in past month. With some encouragement from my doctor, I bought some sit and fit DVDs for upper body workouts.

I have upper arms that are huge, and I feared that that skin would become batwings as I lose weight. So, I am beginning to do 30 minutes of upper body exercise almost every day. I said something to my hubbie about getting some 'small weights', bacause I cannot grip or lift more than a couple of pounds with my arithritis. His gift to me was my 'pink weights'.

Not all of us are ready to workout with Gillian. *lol*
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Not pastel colored barbie weights

But...I love my little, pink, one pound weights.!!! I had to start somewhere! (laughing, 'cause it's true)

I am a very old lady and spend my time in a wheelchair or desk chair. I have joined MFP in past month. With some encouragement from my doctor, I bought some sit and fit DVDs for upper body workouts.

I have upper arms that are huge, and I feared that that skin would become batwings as I lose weight. So, I am beginning to do 30 minutes of upper body exercise almost every day. I said something to my hubbie about getting some 'small weights', bacause I cannot grip or lift more than a couple of pounds with my arithritis. His gift to me was my 'pink weights'.

Not all of us are ready to workout with Gillian. *lol*

If the little ones are what you can lift, do it. No shame. We all do what we can and do more when we can do more. If the arthritis is in your hands and your problem is grip, you might look at other ways to add weight to your arms. I can imagine adding ankle weights on your forearms and still holding the pink weights...that is if you are worried just about grip.

Good luck! I don't think they were talking about someone starting out. Starting is great!
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    If the little ones are what you can lift, do it. No shame. We all do what we can and do more when we can do more. If the arthritis is in your hands and your problem is grip, you might look at other ways to add weight to your arms. I can imagine adding ankle weights on your forearms and still holding the pink weights...that is if you are worried just about grip.

Good luck! I don't think they were talking about someone starting out. Starting is great!

There was a time, when I could not use my right hand for 5 years. That hand was crushed and then reconstructed. Followng the surgery, I developed a form of dystrophy and went through 42 painful treatments over several years just to regain the use of my hand. The fact that I can even lift any weight, letting alone keyboard, write and draw again is nothing short of a miracle.

I am under doctor's orders to go slow and don't do anything that might reinjure my right hand especially. There is a concern that I could bring back the dystrophy and the paralysis. So, I test myself carefully with any exercises...hoping for growth and increased strength in the future.

The surgeons took the ligament from my right forearm to reattach my thumb, during the reconstruction of my hands. The dystrophy affected my whole right arm. I almost lost the use of the arm all the way to the shoulder. Like I said, it was a miracle that I can use that hand or arm.

Believe me, when I say that I am new to MFP. However...at 68 years old, I have seen and done more than most folks would imagine. I just can't do EVERYTHING that I did in the past. Come to think of it...That's probably for the best. This pastor's wife had a rather notorious past. *lol*
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Rose is a delightful friend and tells great stories. We all have our struggles and Rose is an inspiration to me. We can all push our best forward.
  • passmetheducksauce
    passmetheducksauce Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    work on your tricep muscles and more importantly, hit the treadmill and do some cardio. HIIT would be best if you have what it takes
  • groversa
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys!