Vegan/Vegetarians!

Options
I have started a vegan blog that will hopefully give you new ideas for good eats! It's not just about food, it'll be about so much more! Follow me if you're interested and I welcome any questions you may have!!! Happy Eating! ~ Jillian

http://themodestvegan.blogspot.com/

Replies

• toddslaten1
    toddslaten1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have started a vegan blog that will hopefully give you new ideas for good eats! It's not just about food, it'll be about so much more! Follow me if you're interested and I welcome any questions you may have!!! Happy Eating! ~ Jillian

http://themodestvegan.blogspot.com/
    Saved it to my bookmarks list:)
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Let me know if you need anything! :)
  • runner115
    runner115 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for easy vegan recipes and meal ideas...will you be posting recipes??
  • MelissaOnPurpose
    MelissaOnPurpose Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yay! So glad I found you! I just searched "vegan" and your post was the first page. I went to your blog and I could totally eat the lunch you described...It actually sounds delicious! Do you have your favorite vegan meals? I am so excited to be trying new things. I just hope it goes over well with my hubby!!! He says that he'll eat anything I make...We'll see if he was telling the truth. :)
  • mizroxy13
    Options
    Hi to both you! @runner115, I have a really busy life, so I constantly try and simplify meals! I will definitely post recipes, but sometimes I just post meal ideas...so let me know if there's something you'd like the recipe for. @melissa, I have lots of favorites! I try and steer clear of fake meats and such, but I do love vegan tacos and chili. I am also a big fan of indian food and the spices used in that. My new favorite is a shaved brussels sprouts salad with toasted almonds and lemon dressing. I'll post that one soon!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    How about salad ideas? I need help with that.
  • mizroxy13
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE salads!!!! Do you just get bored with them? I make all sorts of salads and will definitely post recipes!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Since I became vegan I'm just not sure what to do with salads since I used to get chicken in them. Now I don't really even like meats substitutes so I don't know what to add in for some protein in the way of nuts or beans. I also would be interested in vegan dressings that are accidently vegan or easy to make.
  • corinnecurcio
    corinnecurcio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi - I started MFP a few weeks ago. What do you think of the parameters set on what one should be eating. According to MFP I'm getting too much protein, too many carbs, and not enough fat! It's inevitable as a vegetarian, isn't it, to get more carbs?
  • mizroxy13
    Options
    @redraid I always use spinach as a base for my salads since it has as much protein as beef! I also like to add toasted almonds, pine nute, edamame, brown rice, quinoa, etc...and I also make salads with beans as the base. Like white beans, onion, lemon, cilantro, salt and pepper. Just remember that it's a lot easier to get protein then most people think, and despite the protein craze, you don't need a crazy amount.

@corinne did you set the parameters yourself or just let MFP do it for you?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Spinach is really good for you, but it does NOT have more protein than beef.... :laugh:

1 cup of raw spinach has less than 1 gram of protein. A 3oz serving of beef, chicken, salmon, etc. has over 20g protein. So while spinach IS indeed very healthy and great to eat, it's not really a viable source of protein unless you are somehow able to eat it by the truckload, which I seriously doubt any human could, unless perhaps your name is Popeye and you live in a comic strip of the distant past.
  • corinnecurcio
    corinnecurcio Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize I could change the settings - I thought it would just set carbs, fat, protein by my height and weight. So I can change that?
  • mizroxy13
    Options
    Yes, I should've said per calorie, they are equivalent. My mistake. I eat plenty, so it is a viable source for me! But even if you don't, it's a superior green, adds protein and is great in salads!

@corinne Yes! Go to Settings at the top right, then click on Goals in the blue menu bar, then customize.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    @redraid I always use spinach as a base for my salads since it has as much protein as beef! I also like to add toasted almonds, pine nute, edamame, brown rice, quinoa, etc...and I also make salads with beans as the base. Like white beans, onion, lemon, cilantro, salt and pepper. Just remember that it's a lot easier to get protein then most people think, and despite the protein craze, you don't need a crazy amount.

@corinne did you set the parameters yourself or just let MFP do it for you?

Thank you, I'll try adding more spinach to my salads. Do you have any suggestions for dressings?
  • mizroxy13
    Options
    Oh, sorry! I always make my dressings, and sometimes it's as simple as a squeeze of lemon and salt and pepper. I always start with an acid (lemon, red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, balsamic, champagne vinegar) and add just enough olive oil to make the dressing into a creamy consistency when you whisk it. Then S&P, and whatever fresh herbs you might like. Sometimes I just put a big ol' scoop of hummus on my salad and eat it with that as my "dressing". If you're a die hard ranch fan, I'm sure there is a recipe out there that uses tofu or dairy-free milk. There is an amazing veggie restaurant in my neighborhood and they have ridiculously good vegan ranch dressing, so it can be done. I'm just not much a fan!
  • runner115
    runner115 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love indian food and look forward to seeing the brussels sprouts recipe! I too try to stay clear of too much...I will definitly follow your blog - thank you for putting it out there!