on 1400 calories per day but not much success

Hi all

I've been to a few websites recommended on the forum and worked out that my TDEE is around 1950 calories (max what I can eat daily with no weight loss) and my daily goal is 1400 calories to achieve weight loss. I'm currently 143 pounds and 63 inches tall. My ideal weight goal is 127 pounds. I've been keeping to 1400 calories for almost 3 weeks and showing minimal weight loss (maybe 2 pounds max but seems to fluctuate). I'm exercising around 6 days per week for around 30 minutes per day (light jog/aerobics). My approach is that I want to lose weight slowly (but not this slowly!) and to be on a diet that I can maintain - rather than something really strict. Still, I've been pretty much under 1400 calories for most days. Not sure where I might be going wrong...Any insights appreciated.

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Your food and exercise diaries are closed. You can go to settings and open them if you want specific advice.

I'm struggling, too. I was slowly gaining on 1400 per day, so I cut down to 1200 per day. Now I'm gaining and losing the same 2-3 pounds over and over again.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    are you eating back your exercise calories? if not your body my be holding on to everything it can. likely your exercise would put you below the recommended minimum of 1200?
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    question for both of you. Are your calories gross or net?

I suspect that you are both eating too little. If you are eating 1,200 - 1,400 calories gross AND working out your body is dying for fuel.

Make sure that eat you eat back your exercisie calories.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    lol, yeah, what he said
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 633 Member
    Let us know when you open your diary so we can give you specific suggestion based on what you are eating. How much water do you drink? Are you tracking sodium? Do you eat back your exercise calories? I think you are likely eating too little but you are also just getting started so you will need some patience.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    OP you said you've been doing this for 3 weeks and have lost around 2 lbs. Losing 1 lb a week is the optimal amount of loss for most people and as weight loss is not linear, I think that perhaps you are just being impatient.

Do check that you are NETTING enough calories to fuel your body, adjust if necessary, and then give it time. Your body needs to adjust as it could simply be water retention.
  • loomatic
    loomatic Posts: 15 Member
    How did you come up with 1400 calories? MFP has me at 1340 calories, and I'm taller and weigh more. I've lost 4.5 pounds since New Years Day, and I only started exercising this past week, so 4 days so far.
  • lw0329
    lw0329 Posts: 4
    Oops I accidentally posted under my friends account. Didn't realise she was logged on. I've opened my diary now. 1400 is the gross amount of calories. Any advice appreciated!
  • lw0329
    Hi I didn't use MFP but another site recommended on this forum. Sorry would post link but didn't save it. It involved a body percentage calculator used by the US army.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    1950 - 20% = 1560

Also, two pounds in three weeks is very reasonable, especially since you only have about fifteen pounds to lose.

Eat.

Eat healthy.

Be happy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Your join date is this month. How long have you seen no results? It can take time.
  • lw0329
    Thanks maybe I am a bit impatient but just worried I was doing something wrong. I'm sure I'm not the only one who have found so much advice out there but it's hard when they say slightly different things.