Upper Body Work Out with Resistance Bands.

Options
I'm just starting out here. Most of the exercises I do are cardio. I know that when you lift weights you should do it every other day, so the muscles can recover. Does this apply to using resistance bands also?

Replies

• matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    yup! bands are an alternative to lifting weights but effectively does the same thing- gains muscle or tones you up...good luck!
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Bands are not actually anything like lifting weights. Bands are meant to be attached to straight weight for accommodating resistance, not replacing it.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    not anything like lifting weights? umm...yes it is essentially the same thing..you are doing the exact same movement, working the exact same muscle with the exact same resistance...i don't understand what you mean by"attached to straight weight" that doesnt make much sense, i think she is talking about resistance bands with handles!
  • notthatthis
    Options
    not anything like lifting weights? umm...yes it is essentially the same thing..you are doing the exact same movement, working the exact same muscle with the exact same resistance...i don't understand what you mean by"attached to straight weight" that doesnt make much sense, i think she is talking about resistance bands with handles!

Yup. Resistance is resistance.
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I agree that resistance is resistance. It may not be as extreme as weight lifting, but I sure am feeling it. LOL!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bands are great but they are a different animal from weights. With weights. usually the most difficult phase is the beginning (moving it from inertia) while with bands it's usually the opposite, resistance typically gets harder with the movement. For me, I find bands very beneficial for working full range of movement while free weights do a better job activating stabilizer muscles. Either way you will get a great resistance workout and should follow similar work-rest phases.