Couch 2 5k and water?

Those of you that are doing or have done couch 2 5k, do you all carry a water bottle while running? I am thinking about starting the program but would find it annoying to carry the bottle while running. However, running with no water doesn't seem like a good idea...

Replies

• mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Camelbak if you're outside. Wonderful little things and you shouldn't run out if you're just doing C25k.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    can you run circles around your block/house and stop for a drink? or past a park / center with a drinking fountain?

running with a bottle of water isn't too bothersome, but it is more bothersome than not doing it, for certain.

30 mins of running isn't bad if you can't find a way to get water.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    I would think that you would be fine without carrying water. With c25k you are only going for about 30 minutes max until the end. If you are staying properly hydrated at other times and it's not super ho out, you shouldn't have to worry about dehydration. When I'm dong running on the treadmill, I always have water available, but when I'm running or walking outside, no water.
  • jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    I would say it depends on the weather. During the summer I felt I needed the water, now not so much. There are different belts/packs you can get that have water bottles with them.
  • I have a running bag around my waist. I carry a water bottle, some cash, my id and puffer.
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    I am starting week 6 and have never brought a water bottle with me. I drink some water just before I go.
  • allenhandley
    allenhandley Posts: 134 Member
    I second the camelback if you think you need h2o. If you are drinking enough water throughout the day, you shouldn't need any for the 30 min run. You can also get belts that hold h2o bottles. I personally don't carry any and find don't like to run with anything in my hands.
  • I just finished 5k to 8k and I ensure I am hydrated and don't have to carry water. I've read that once you reach 90 minutes of running, then you need to worry about carrying water. Make sure to drink your 8+ cups of water spread throughout the day, and not just before running, too.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    I run at home on a treadmill so I always have access to water. Sorry i'm not help.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    You don't need water! As long as you are well hydrated as a rule, you should be able to run without water. I just ran over 11 miles today (2 hours) with no water. But, especially on short runs like C25K - carrying water would be more of a nuisance than it is worth.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I did all of c25k without water (it's only 30 minutes) and was fine. If you really feel you'll need it, you can get handheld bottles that are designed for runners, with a little strap that goes around your hand - keeps you from really having to grip it and is easily accessible. I often see them cheap at TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

I have one like this: http://www.rei.com/product/842476/runners-world-cruising-handheld-water-bottle

I used it during the summer when I was training for a 10k and it was very hot, but eventually found that if I hydrated well enough before the run, I didn't need the bottle.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    My personal rule is I carry water (in a pouch around my waist) for runs that are longer than 6 or 7 km. you should carry water for shorter distances if it helps:)
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Okay, thanks guys. I probably won't take any since most of you say you don't need it.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    I dont know I know that it's a short distance but I have to carry water with me to feel hydrated. It keeps me going a lot better than when I don't

It really comes down to how you feel try it both ways and see