Goal-setting nightmares... HELP!!!

Options
Given the recent successes I've had since joining MFP, I've become somewhat addicted to the Community Message Boards. I love reading the inspirational stories and fitness tips because they keep me motivated.

Now, that being said, I am so confused about what my caloric intake should really be.

I want to lose 42lbs...

My BMR is1740
My TDEE is 2700
The MFP deficit for ~2lb/week sets my calories to 1310

I understand the concept of starvation mode, I also understand that I should be eating closer to the caloric range I would need to maintain my goal weight. Currently, my net intake is usually around 1200 calories. I don't feel hungry and I am still losing weight.

My questions is do I suddenly jump up to 2000 calories after a month of eating 1200? Or do I wait until I hit a plateau, as I am led to believe will inevitably happen?

I know this topic is overly-exhausted and it is covered in several wonderful posts, I'm just having trouble processing HOW to make the necessary changes.

Thanks

Replies

• HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    Keep your muscles, eat above your BMR at the very least!
  • Shainat20
    Shainat20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to do that since I just started finding them lol. I'm just terrified that suddenly upping my calorie count after a month will negate the progress I've made so far.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    I know someone who knows more will chime in but, personally, I upped cals the first few weeks to about 100 over my BMR so I was eating 1550 and still losing now I eat anywhere from 1700 to 2000 depending on my activity. Try it for 3 weeks and if you don't like the results tweak it again, everyone is different but the body needs time to get used to the new changes so really commit to it for a few weeks.
  • Shainat20
    Shainat20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much i really appreciate the help. I will give it a go tomorrow!