Over 70 and trying to get healthy

Options
I:laugh: Is there anyone over 70 that is trying to find a new way to get healthy? If there is I sure would love to hear from you and to see how you are doing, maybe we can help each other. I do well for a day or two and then something happens and I fall right back down to where I was. I went through a terrible year when my husband was diagnosed with lung and brain cancer and he also had COPD/emphysemia and he passed away in September. But for a year I was taking care of him, consequently I was in the house and did a lot of eating. No excuses though, I did it to myself, now I need help to get it off. Hope to hear from some of you.

Replies

• Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard that would be. Good for you for pulling through and being motivated to be healthy. I am not 70 but i am nice and have an open diary if you want to be friends :)
  • gettingfitnana303
    Options
    Good Morning! I am not over 70 but I will turn 60 this year. Eating healthy and exercising is a habit that takes awhile to achieve. You can do it though! Take time for you now. Being a caregiver is hard work, I know. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am 66. have lost 36 lbs over the last 3 years. There is no magic. (I wish.) Here is how I did it. I eat clean, I do not eat processed foods or drink sodas. I drink water and green tea, and lots of it. I got moving. I hate to exercise. I would rather sew my mouth shut, but I found things I can do. Walking, yoga, hitting the gym once a week. I log everything which I think is the most important part of the journey. It keeps me accountable. Remember, this is NOT a diet. It is a lifestyle change. You can add me if you like.
  • gailclark48
    gailclark48 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi GramsinND, I'm turning 70 this year and also need to get in shape. Since December 13 have lost 6 lbs, which is difficult while on steroids for collagenous colitis, by clean eating (fresh vegs., fruits, whole wheat & other grains, cut down on my portions, and absolutely no adding of sugar). I just got my Fitbit Charge 2 fitness tracker to find out how much I currently move and how to improve. Living in ND I'm not into walking outside so I found a youtube video HappyWalk by Leslie Sansome and will be giving it a whirl. Also like you I go for a day or two and say just forget it...but I'm determined this time to keep at it. I would like to do a 5K or two this summer. I'm so sorry for your loss. God bless you, Gail in ND