Getting fit before ttc

Options
adegonia
adegonia Posts: 51 Member
Hi everyone I'm Ashley! My husband and I have decided to start trying for a baby in August so I am getting the extra weight off now and getting healthy. Is anyone else in the same boat? What sorts of things are you doing? Does anyone else feel silly buying birth control pills and prenatal vitamins at the same time?

Replies

• sboothe24
    sboothe24 Posts: 34
    Options
    Hey I'm doing exactly the same thing! Me and my husband have tried for 2 1/2 years and I've had 3 miscarriages so I feel that if I get into better shape it might help. I've been cutting out all my sugars and carbs and I exercise 5 days a week at the gym and then I walk in the mornings with my sister in law and cousin. I try to stay busy so I dont have a chance to sit down and snack on unhealthy foods. I'm taking prenatals now as my vitamens. I havent gotten birth control though b/c my body doesnt respond to it very well. So we are using other methods. Good luck!
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't feel silly at all! You are definitely on the right track with starting prenatal vitamins now. Everything I read said that if you start taking prenatal vitamins 3 months before TTC, it lowers the risk of miscarriage significantly. Folic Acid makes the biggest impact during week 5-6 when the neural tube is forming and closing. Most people don't even know they're pregnant yet at that point, so it's a good idea to take the vitamins early!

Before TTC, I just tried to get *some* exercise each day. Whether it was walking, elliptical machines, tae-bo tapes, aerobic tapes, Wii Fit activities, I just made sure I moved around each day. I've continued this throughout my entire pregnancy so far (I'm almost 37 weeks) and I've only gained about 19 lbs.

I would highly recommend buying a copy of "What to Expect when You're Expecting" or renting a copy from the library. That will give you a good idea of stretches, exercises, and a lot of other pre-conception information that you will find useful.

It's great being prepared when TTC, and it's amazing being pregnant (well, minus the heartburn haha)

Oh yeah- You might want to ask your doctor about this, but some people I've talked to have stopped the pill a month or 2 before TTC and used backup (condoms) to make sure their cycle was back to normal. I don't know if that's completely necessary or not, but I just thought I'd pass that info on.
  • adegonia
    Options
    Yeah I was wondering if the pill was effecting me. My cycle has been so messed up for the last few months. The doctor is going to call me tomorrow and let me know what I need to do. I'm hesitant to take a stronger dose because it's just 4 more months until I completely stop taking it anyways. So how long did it take you to get pregnant when you tried? You would think since I have a daughter I would already know all this stuff but she is 4 1/2 now and my body has changed and so has all of the advise. (Like I was allowed to eat lunch meat) It really stinks because I gain all my weight in my stomach and I already have large boobs so I get asked quite frequently if I am pregnant. My thought is get fit now and get used to eating right then when I am 28 and trying to lose 20-30 pounds it won't be as hard.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Losing 20 lbs was exactly what it took for my wife to get pregnant last year. We agreed to wait to have a baby until she was healthier and she even made an appointment for the OBGYN to get birth control. We joined the gym and started counting calories. By the time she went to her appointment to get the pill, her birth control appointment had become a prenatal appointment.
  • runningirl05
    Options
    Way to go!
  • itskim08
    itskim08 Posts: 22
    Options
    One of the main reasons I am losing weight myself!! We have a 2 1/2 year old little girl and she just would be a great big sister. But, I just know the risks of carrying lots of weight while carrying a child. I want to give that baby the greatest chance to be healthy as I possibly can. Just wouldn't be fair to the baby and I'd be a nervous wreck also. I was over weight with my first but I am a bit bigger now. So yes, one of the greatest gifts you could give that baby is being in shape yourself. And also, I dread having to lose this weight after childbirth plus whatever I gain while I am pregnant. So you might as well do it now as I am trying to do and thousands of other women. Great great choice!!! Bet you can find lots of support from other women in the same boat!!!
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant the first month I tried, but I was also using basal body temperature, which I did for 4 months before hand. I knew the exact date I was going to ovulate.

When you go to your doctor appointment, you could ask them what to do about birth control pills.

I know it's bad, but I totally have been eating lunch meat the whole time. I didn't know I wasn't allowed to have it...my doctor never told me I wasn't allowed to have it, and my mom had a turkey sandwich every day when she was pregnant with me. My best friend is in medical school and she told me I shouldn't have it when I was at about 5 months....so, whatever. I pretty much only have it when I go to Subway or Jimmy Johns, and I've never heard of anyone getting lysteria bacteria from those places.
  • adegonia
    Options
    So you were able to chart your bbt while on the pill? I wouldn't worry to much about the lunch meat. It's amazing anyone has a healthy baby anymore since there are so many new rules all the time. I just stand on the promise that God makes everything beautiful in his perfect time. So when I am suppose to have a baby I will.