tips for not regaining weight loss long term

Options

Replies

• Joanneea
    Options
    Mine is so much about portion control, I had a piece of chocolate the other day, my daughter had a block in her room and I was curious, could I have a piece without wanting more, I was suprised how easily I did it, The same my son bought me home gravy and chips, I kidded 'how could you' and told him the dogs would be having it, I ate3 chips (fries) and easily gave it to the dogs, I would never had done that before Don't get me wrong I wasn't a chips and gravy person. But occasionally when I didn't feel like cooking that is something I enjoyed as a treat.
    It isn't just the weight I want to lose it is aches and pains from not eating whole foods.
    I am also finding it easier to not binge on a treat, which was a bad habit, because I am logging, I am conscious of it counting, but at the same time I don't feel deprived or like it is a hard slog. I just want to be able to do it for the rest of my life.
  • char3
    char3 Posts: 8
    Options
    I can speak from personal experience as 2 years ago I had lost just over 40 pounds. 2 years later and I have gained it all back and even a bit more.

To be honest, the big thing that changed for me was moving back home for the summer. I had been away to school and finally felt in control of my life. I joined MFP and my life changed. It took me about 6 months to lose the weight. I was exercising regularly and eating healthy. People were amazed with my transformation and I was so proud of myself.

Then when I moved back home, it all went wrong. Although people in my life were all supportive, I found our lifestyles didn't fit anymore. My parents bought our groceries and though they would buy me any healthy foods that I wanted, they still continued to buy junk. It was all over the house.

The first couple months were difficult, but I still managed to stay in control of what I ate. But it got increasingly hard to say no to things. When I was losing weight, I would never have more than one treat a day but when they kept constantly being offered to me and it was almost frowned upon that I wouldn't accept them - I started to say yes to the little things. Little things started turning into meals. It felt "bad" and though I did allow the occasioanl treat before, when I started making unhealthy choices it almost felt that I had been deprived before. And then, the exercise stopped.

Another big thing was my friends. I was 19 years old at the time and none of my friends had any issues with weight like I did. They could eat pizza, ice cream, burgers, and nothing would happen to them. So when I started hanging out with them again when I came home, they didn't understand my lifestyle. I tried so hard to keep my healthy habits up but it felt like I wanted to fit in again. They didn't understand why I couldn't eat what they ate and rolled their eyes everytime I ordered a salad at a restaurant instead of nachos and fries.

As much as I want to blame other people, it was my choice to get heavy again. I can't blame anyone but myself.

I would give anything to shake that girl and tell her to BE STRONG. To tell her to inspire her friends to eat healthy instead of conforming to their lifestyles. I can't tell you how awful it feels to have come so far and lose it all. People look at you almost like you're pathetic. You lose respect and feel ashamed to go out. I have cancelled so many plans to meet up with friends I had seen when I lost the weight just because I didn't want them to see me again. I even considered not going back to school, but I did. Though I'm happy I did, it was so hard seeing people I hadn't seen for months after they had told me what an inspiration I am and how proud they were of me. I feel like such a failure in their eyes.

Ironically, some of my friends from home (who could eat anything they wanted and nothing happened) have gained weight as I'm sure their poor eating habits have started to affect them. They finally understand what I went through.

Fortunately I am getting back on track and joined MFP once again. I'm exercising regularly and making healthy food choices with the occasional treat ;) I've lost 7 pounds, but have a long way to go. So excited to get back to my healthy ways.

I try not to regret anything, as I believe everything is a lesson. Anything can be a positive experience if you make it one.

Hope this provides some perspective for you. If anything I'd say keep it up, keep it up. It's hard work to live a healthy life but it's worth it. If you're unhappy going to the gym everyday, you won't be any happier being disappointed with the mirror everyday. But I'm happy I have you guys, you inspire me everyday. So, thank you!
  • Joanneea
    Options
    @Char3 My daughter bought my favourite ice cream flavour today, even though I had made a small bowl of yoghurt I added a scoop, and even though it tasted of chemicals I still ate it. I know I won't have it again, but I understand having the temptation around can be a slippery slope.
  • aponia
    aponia Posts: 28
    Options
    I've found comfort in making healthful choices when it comes to food, rather than eating too much of it. I enjoy food but I've changed my eating habits to very healthful ones so I get to enjoy food without having to worry about the calories and weight gain. I think the best way to keep the weight off is to not think of your weight loss experience as a 'diet' but as a lifestyle change. You will adapt to these new eating habits and it'll become second nature to choose something healthful over something fried or drowned in sugar. And don't forget, after eating a certain way for a while, your taste will totally change and you'll find yourself enjoying things you never would've before!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I did really well for sometime, but then summer came along. Then it was time to meet everyone at the lake and then you get a lot of pontoon time and beer, well that doesn't add up good. I ended up gaining 6lbs back, I cried, cried. I was so down, depressed, I just am getting out of it. I would come up with so many reasons that I gained.

This week I have dusted off my DVD 30 Day Shred and started running(C25K) it's time to get exercising. Another thing my husband said he wanted to start working out with me, I was excited but he never would go. So know I'm just going to go and do it and if he wants to come with then great.

I have my niece wedding in June and I want to lose 20lbs by then.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 kilos about ten months ago and I was looking and feeling pretty good,I wasn't yet at my goal weight,but still,everything was going well.
    Then at some point I just snapped.I wanted to eat,not just eat actually,but binge.I wanted to eat chocolate,sandwiches with a lot of mayo,pizza,cakes...All the things I wasn't allowed to eat.So I thought I should give myself a break and enjoy the food for a little while.The little while turned into months and I gained it all back and put on a little more.
    I think this was a lesson learned for me,well,at least i hope so.
    The only advice that I have is: do not reward yourself with food when you lose weight.Reward yourself with new clothes,a trip,a new haircut,a massage or something,just not food.Think of a treat(like two little cubes of chocolate,a chocolate cappuccino or whatever you like that isn't so high in calories) that you'd have every two days or so, just to satisfy your cravings.Do that even now when you're on your weight loss journey.Just so that you don't snap like I did.
    I bet you've heard about that guy who lost like 200 lbs or something and then he had a hot dog to treat himself for all the effort he put into losing weight (it's so ironic now that I think about it) and then that one hot dog turned into a few hot dogs a day and he gained all the weight back.Don't be that guy.

This is key. "Don't be that guy". And how do you do that? By setting a plan for yourself that doesn't involve deprivation. Don't eliminate entire categories of foods or swear off of sweets forever. That's not realistic for most of us. During this process if you want a hotdog, have a hotdog, but track it and make sure it fits into your daily calories.

I think that the most successful changes come just from tracking what you are eating. I can have onion rings, but if I eat too many, I know that it's going to take up so many of my carb/fat/calories for the day. I'm not saying "never" to those onion rings but by tracking it, I realize that if I make different choices, I can actually eat more food, healthier food, for those same calories. So then the choice is to eat the onion rings, or not to eat the onion rings, or to eat fewer of the onion rings; I can decide that and whatever I choose is not right or wrong.

I think that's how the long term changes begin. It's about finding balance, but in order to find that, you need to be honest about what you are swallowing every single day.

^^^^^This for sure. I also think that mentally it helps me so much more to concentrate on adding whole, healthy food to my diet and not to concentrate on what I need to take away. I find that exercise is key for me also. Now that I am aware of calorie counts and how much I need to workout to fit those onion rings into my day they lose some of their appeal. I have found also if I eat nutritionally empty calories I am much hungrier at the end of the day. So, most of the time I eat healthy but if I crave something I evaluate why I'm craving it and if it is really that particular item I want or if it is just something sweet, salty, crunchy etc...if it is just one of those things then I go for a healthy snack instead of the bad one. For instance I will have a bowl of Greek yogurt at night with fruit and a drizzle of honey because I crave sweet and creamy after dinner. For me, I have found that much more satisfying than a bowl of ice cream. And it is meeting my protein and calcium needs along with the nutrients and antioxidants from the berries. But, sometimes I really just want that bowl of ice cream, so I have it. No guilt and no binging or falling off the wagon because all things are permissible to me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Too many people are still stuck in a "diet" mentality, where they'll do things they can't do long term to lose the weight, then they stop.

Maintaining isn't any different than losing. You just have a few more calories to play with. You still need to track your intake, still need to exercise, still need to do everything you did to lose.

In some ways, maintaining is harder. Harder to stay motivated. Losing weight is exciting! You see progress on the scale and as your clothes start getting loose, and people tell you how great you're doing and how much smaller you look.

No one ever says, "Holy crap! You're the same size as you were two years ago! How did you do it???" :laugh:

You have to dig deeper to stay motivated when there's not a lot of tangible "progress."
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Too many people are still stuck in a "diet" mentality, where they'll do things they can't do long term to lose the weight, then they stop.

Maintaining isn't any different than losing. You just have a few more calories to play with. You still need to track your intake, still need to exercise, still need to do everything you did to lose.

In some ways, maintaining is harder. Harder to stay motivated. Losing weight is exciting! You see progress on the scale and as your clothes start getting loose, and people tell you how great you're doing and how much smaller you look.

No one ever says, "Holy crap! You're the same size as you were two years ago! How did you do it???" :laugh:

You have to dig deeper to stay motivated when there's not a lot of tangible "progress."

Perfectly said! Agree!
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Perfectly said! Agree!
  • meowkapow
    meowkapow Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Make being healthy and fit a fun thing, do exercise you like doing, learn recipes for healthy things and find ones you love, try new foods, try new active hobbies.. build up an arsenal of awesome healthful things that are no problem for you to get back into if you slip up.

I might eat junk food over a couple of weeks while on holiday but by the end of it I'm excited to start eating home cooked healthy meals again!
  • Wolfe1759
    Wolfe1759 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My experience will be much like others' here - - I regained the weight because I went back to my old habits.

When I first lost weight I worked out 6 days a week, but hated every second of it because my cardio was all stuff I disliked - - the recumbent bike and a ski machine. I starved myself during the week and binged on the weekends after my weigh in. I drank little water, and ate very unhealthy foods most of the time. Sure, I lost an immense amount of weight, but how I did it was completely unsustainable. I also did nothing to address the lifestyle habits that got me in that position in the first place.

This time around I am not on a diet, I am addressing my lifestyle. My new lifestyle includes activities like walking to and from the office, and daily exercise, and eating regular balanced meals. I am eating far more calories than I ever did the first time around, so I do not feel deprived like last time. Overall, the weight is coming off nice and steadily, and my new habits are keeping me in a very healthy place. I am not yet at my goal, so I have not yet discovered the challenges of maintenance, but the habits I am setting up now are long term ones that hopefully should set me up for success this time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I believe it really is developing new habits. Finding a diet that satisfies you while controling your weight. Finding exercises that you enjoy. Finding a good balance between what you know you need to do and what you want to do. At least that's what has worked for me.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    3 personal reasons for me.

1. Doing something so extreme it is not sustainable so you kind of go crazy in the opposite direction.
    2. You don't have a plan for maintenance so you gradually slip back into old habits and slowly fade away from your goal
    3. Some personal crisis that effects you mentally and you slip out of your old habits turn to food or alcohol for comfort and start going backwards.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    I see it like a house - if I want my house to look neat and clean I need to tidy it up and clean it once a week. When I don't it starts looking like a mess, and I don't like that.

If I want to be in my best health I need to balance out my eating - eat healthy, and include physical activity daily. When I slip and catch it, straighten it out and get it back on track. It is ok to have a doughnut once in a while. You have to find what works for you. It might be knowing that on Saturdays you allow yourself food that you don't eat during the week. The great thing is that God gives us new start with every morning, and so does MFP :happy:

This is one of the best comments I have read since being on MFP.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Save for later
  • KimP202
    KimP202 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    thank you for your wisdom
  • debrajdavid
    debrajdavid Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree. You have to change your lifestyle and incorporate all food groups into your diet, in moderation. Don't deprive yourself of food you like, that just spells disaster, at least for me. I have lost 30.5 pounds - 2.5 pounds away from my goal and pray I never, ever go back to my old eating habits. With God's help and guidance, I have changed how I prepare foods, what I eat, how much I eat, etc. I pray I NEVER return!!
  • debrajdavid
    Options
    Amen! I totally agree!!
  • debrajdavid
    Options
    QUOTE:

I see it like a house - if I want my house to look neat and clean I need to tidy it up and clean it once a week. When I don't it starts looking like a mess, and I don't like that.

If I want to be in my best health I need to balance out my eating - eat healthy, and include physical activity daily. When I slip and catch it, straighten it out and get it back on track. It is ok to have a doughnut once in a while. You have to find what works for you. It might be knowing that on Saturdays you allow yourself food that you don't eat during the week. The great thing is that God gives us new start with every morning, and so does MFP

This is one of the best comments I have read since being on MFP.
  • 1ahayward
    1ahayward Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There's actual research that suggests that the body "fights back" after weight loss. Certainly extreme dieting slows metabolism, but even for folks who lose weight slowly and without too much deprivation, the body remains "attracted" to that higher set point and will send hunger cues. Check out HBO's series "Weight of a Nation" for more info on this.

Add to that the fact that all new habits get old after awhile, e.g. I used to log everything I put in my mouth religiously, but now it's so routine that I get sloppy about it - still do it, just not as rigorously accurate.

I lost 55 pounds a couple of years ago and am serious about keeping it off. I've had the increased hunger cues, etc., and my weight has fluctuated - 5 up, 7 down, etc. The best news I've heard in awhile is that if you up your protein intake, you can actually eat more calories per day than if you stick to a high carb/reduced fat plan and still maintain weight loss. With that in mind, I now intentionally eat more eggs, reduced fat cheese, chicken, salmon, beans, and lean beef. It does help keep me feeling full.

Finally, daily exercise really does matter - keeping that metabolism high is crucial. That's another challenge since life gets busy or I get sick, bored, etc.

I'm convinced that, for most of us, not regaining weight is actually more challenging than the initial weight loss. Good luck, everyone!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!