46 and weight won't budge!

Options
It is so discouraging to once have been able to drop weight but after age 40 it is true...it gets much harder!! Anyone else having this problem?? Am 46 year old female...very frustrated and needing encouragement!

Replies

• lisawmi
    lisawmi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and have been up and down. I just joined a challenge at the gym, I think this is about my fourth go around. I can lose the weight but I have trouble keeping my focus to keep it off. Remember- calories in vs calories out is what it is all about. How many calories are you eating? Are you tracking faithfully?
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue. Lost the first 24 (being with recording calories is the most important thing) with no problem but now stuck in a plateau for 2 months and need to lost 10-15 more. I decided that I am going to try cutting out all junk food (including my beloved soda) for one month and see if that can jump start my loss again. Limit processed foods as much as possible.

Heard on here that losing weight is 90% diet, 10% exercise and so far that appears to be true...
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and was having the same problem before joining MFP. Just stick with it and it WILL work, so worth it!
  • beachbums6
    beachbums6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I lost about 20 lbs and gained some back. I've been trying to workout more and track my calories. I am trying to cut out the junk food and the sodas. Sometimes it is hard when everyone else brings in the stuff. I try to put it away so that I don't see it. I don't eat fast food as much anymore and that has helped. I try eating more fruits and vegetables too.
  • Charbonie1
    Options
    I am 48 and lost 35 pounds 4 years ago, gained back 10 and am now trying to lose another 30. Exercise, just 30 minutes a day is what makes a huge difference for me. Otherwise I stay the same weight or even gain. You don't have to kill yourself, but something that gets your heart rate up like snowshoeing, dancing, a light jog or very brisk walk up and own a few hills. That extra 200 cals off per day seems to do it for me
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and have been up and down. I just joined a challenge at the gym, I think this is about my fourth go around. I can lose the weight but I have trouble keeping my focus to keep it off. Remember- calories in vs calories out is what it is all about. How many calories are you eating? Are you tracking faithfully?

^^ what she said. And once you take it off this time, KEEP it off so you don't have to do this again! I've kept my weight off for 20 yrs because I'm diligent. Once I lost my weight, it became my PRIORITY to keep it off as much as it was my priority to take it off to begin with!

I'm sending a FR now :)
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You just need to exercise every day to the point where you are sweaty and out of breath. You cannot rely on cutting the calories as the only way to reduce your weight because your body gets used to fewer calories
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and have lost 50lbs. It can be done. I'm still shooting for another 15. For the first 40 my exercise was walking 3 to 5 days a week. I bought an elliptical at Xmas time because I'm a weenie and hate the cold. It's taken 11 months but I'm planning on keeping it off:smile:
  • sherrycf
    Options
    ugh, totally feel your pain! I am 51 and it is very difficult to drop the weight, which before 50 I never really had a problem with. I have found that excercise is the key!! The accountability of MFP is a blessing but unfortunatelt when the hormones start working against us we have to step it up to lose or even maintain. I use an eliptical and walk briskly outside when the weather permits (after 50 I started having problems with my knee so no more jogging ) getting older sucks, but as they say...it's better than the alternative :)
    Hang in there, and good luck :) Oh and one more thing I just started doing beginners yoga (I am the most unflexible person on the planet!! ) and it is an awesome workout that is also relaxing and amazing, you can buy a vidio if you can't find a class but I recomend both :)
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm 42 and it's a struggle. Make sure you're eating enough! If you are eating the 'magic' number of 1200 calories and working out, it's not good. Adjust your weekly goal to 1 1b loss a week, exercise, and eat back some of those exercise calories. Try to move as much as possible. Track everything - every food, every exercise, and make sure you're eating enough and balanced. I'm still trying to find the magic number that works for me but I KNOW without a doubt 1200 is not for me. Jillian's 30 Day Shred DVD is fantastic and only 20 minutes a day. I highly recommend it, plus walk walk walk, and drink water.
  • LIswimmer51
    Options
    That happened to me for a few months, I recently broke it by going onto keto, you have to make a really drastic change to get the scale to move usually.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and I've lost 120 pounds in ten months on calorie intake alone. I think it's challenging, but it can be done. Everyone is different. Switch some things up until you figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • suesuew62
    Options
    All I can say is KEEP GOING! I am 50 and have the same problem - I even put weight on some weeks which is really disheartening when I've behaved all week. Your efforts will eventually show on the scales,
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I am on the verge of 45 and more or less have the same issue. Keep going and change your routine a bit. That may help.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Not an age thing. I am 51 and still can build muscle, lose fat. Do not concentrate on weight loss, especially if you are working out. For example, over the last three months I lost 3 pounds total, but extensive measurements and mirror show that about 10 pounds of fat gone and about 7 pounds of muscle gained.

The fat loss shows very slowly. In general, fat is lost all over the body at the same time. Thus, you will not notice a change in the gut for a long time. Look to the joints, shoulder caps, upper back, front thighs where you will notice reductions in fat more readily.

The mirror, tape measure and calipers are a far more accurate indication of fat loss than the scale.

Calorie deficit (eat less calories than burn) will work 100% of time. It has too. You cannot make fat from water and air.
    It is so discouraging to once have been able to drop weight but after age 40 it is true...it gets much harder!! Anyone else having this problem?? Am 46 year old female...very frustrated and needing encouragement!
  • housemouse66
    housemouse66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Totally with you.

I am also 46 and would like to lose 2 stone.

I have Pernicious Aneamia and Arthritis, so in constant pain, so moving is not always so easy. I did 1200 cals for 8 weeks end of last year and lost 1lb, due to meds etc. Am at the end of my 2nd week of 1200 cals and have lost nothing, despite no longer being on the meds.

Keeping motivation is so difficult when the scales don't move, but as I am at the moment overweight, I need to stop the gain before I become even more overweight.

Keep going.

Dx

Fingers crossed we can do it.
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Read many of these forums and get ideas. Experiment and find what works for you. For example, I track weekly calories so if something special comes up ( fat Fridays, birthday , I can partake and I'll eat less on other days.).

Good luck.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your macros. As women near the end of childbearing years they often deveolp a degree of insulin resistance. Try eating 40% carbs (with more protiens/fats). Try at mix of 40% carbs, 35% protien, and 35% fat. It may be hard if you are trying to be low cal at the same time, but, you may find that you don't need to. And, it can be much nicer this way. Full fat cream in your coffee (the higher the fat content of cream, the lower the carbs), full fat yogurt, full fat cheese, nuts, seeds.... meat. Just make sure to keep your fibers high too... or all that fun protien and fat will stay with you for days.
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm 45 and soon to have another birthday. I feel your pain. After 40 the weight doesn't budge, I have been carrying around the same 10-15 lbs. for years now. I work out fairly regularly but my eating is what I have a problem with.

I just joined this website in Jan. and have already noticed that I am starting to think a little harder about what I am going to put in my mouth. I know there have been a lot of discussions about the calorie counts and should you eat your exercise calories or not, but for me right now just having that base number and not wanting to go over it is really making me think. I'm still not hitting my goal every day, but I do know that I am a lot closer than I was before I started this.
  • kknfyd
    kknfyd Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree with patent guru! I joined a gym in August 2012 and have gone faithfully since then. I also like to swim so exercise for me is a routine.
    Weight loss though is very slow.... I think I have lost 3 lbs at the most, however, I am now buying a smaller size pant. I tried on my work pants yesterday, and they are all to big.
    I know the weight will come off eventually, however, I am thinking positive and using the way my clothes fit as a gauge.

Hang in there!