Unknown calorie amounts??? HELP!

nsking83
nsking83 Posts: 145
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi friends!!

Okay, so today, I kind of fell off my little weight-loss wagon :embarassed: (Although I rationalize that it's not as bad as it might have been before because I knew I'd have to be accountable to my food diary!)

Anyway, I had a cookie that was from a store bakery that is nowhere in the system (it's a store mostly just in Columbus, OH). That one was easy enough, I "guessed" by putting in "oatmeal raisin cookie" and finding something that I "thought" sounded the most similar.

Then, for lunch, I went to a local Mexican place with a bunch of guys I work with (another bad decision). Again - tortilla chips/ salsa - pretty uniform, place to place. But my meal, I wasn't sure! I put in guesses to other restaurant foods, but what is your guys' suggestions?

Obviously, my best bet is to stick with foods where i KNOW the calorie content before I go (what a great idea - going to start doing this before dinners out with my husband) - but on occasions like today, what's my best bet?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    I dont know how much help this will be or if it is the correct thing to do BUT..... I have the same situation with a little family owned chinese restruant .
    When we go there I always get the same thing , every time. Sesame chicken w/ steamed rice and a vegtable egg roll.
    I looked in the database and choose the one with the MOST calories. I figured at least this way I wont go over my calories since this is usually the only full meal I eat on those days. If I know ahead of time, I eat a very light breakfast and then most of the time I dont eat anything after . Generally I'm just not hungry for the rest of the day.
    I usually only eat out once a week so it seems to work for me,and believe it or not I dont go over my calories. I also ALWAYS bring half ( sometimes a little less than half ) of it home for lunch the next day.

Hope that gives you some suggestions,
    Good Luck.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    When I go out to eat I generally try to choose things that I can break down to their basic ingredients in the database. But let's face it - sometimes we want to try something different - it's part of enjoying life - on those days I make the best guess that I can and try to stay a little under my calories. These are called treats... and we're entitled to them every once in a while! I also make a note on my food diary so that if I look back - I know where we ate and can maybe tell a difference as to how it affected me in the following days. But then again - I also keep track of things like # of trips to the bathroom - so that I can tell if something caused me to retain water or if it didn't agree with my stomach... lol!
This discussion has been closed.