Weight Loss following Injury?

missff
missff Posts: 56 Member
Has anyone had any success with weight loss using MFP who has done very little/no exercise? So, just through adjusting eating habits?

I was injured over 3 months ago and have put on over 20lbs. Although I have been given the all clear from the Dr. I am unable to do very much in the way of exercise at the moment. Previously when I have lost weight I have always exercised as well as adjusting my diet.

Any success stories from people who have been in a similar boat would be great motivation.

I'm currently 84kg and 5 ft 7 : 0 (

Replies

• BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Mine would be a success story only as a map of what to avoid! I did exactly the same thing - hurt myself, took months to recover and blew up! I was so depressed about not being able to move that I just ate and ate. If I'd just taken a little care about what I was shoving into my mouth, I wouldn't have had such a hole to climb out of once I finally was able to exercise again.

So - my advise is to TRACK your eating, be aware, and try to make good choices now. There is a saying that 6-pack abs aren't made in the gym, they are made in the kitchen. How you feed your body is critical. Kudos to you for putting the brakes on now - you're already ahead of the game. :)

Best of luck!!!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    I previously lost a lot of weight by diet alone, but it didn't stay off when I attempted to maintain! I would advise looking into light or low impact exercise to help with health and diet. Even if you can't do much, some is better than none :-)
  • missff
    thanks for advice, I have just started a rehab program at the gym doing some very low impact cardio but I literally have to build it up by the minute, I over did it on friday and my ankle has been swollen since, although not too bad now.

I was really careful the first 3 weeks into my injury but then just seemed to give up, especially as it was the festive season. So annoyed with myself as I'd lost some weight in the run up to my wedding in September and then lo and behold 6 weeks after that I break my foot and all the weight plus more has come back. Grrr!
  • I have been on a few diets post injuries and not being able to exercise, it was not a problem. My knees were destroyed after two bad car accidents in a row and walking is just not an option for me now. Of course, when you are sedate, you are very apt to gain weight if you are not dieting and I did. Lots. I went into a program to have bariatric surgery and lost 80 pounds before the surgery. I went in to have the surgery and unfortunately they did not do it. Actually, it was fortunate for me that I decided to have the surgery. I had cancer. Stage four. It saved my life to go for the surgery. Unfortunately, because of the extensive surgery for the cancer, I can never have the surgery. So, I was very depressed about that. Gained all of my weight back and then some. A friend of mine told me about this program and I have been on it for a week and a half and have lost 6 pounds. No exercise. Keep going. It's going to be worth it!
  • missff
    sorry to hear you have been through so much Abbeyroad104 and thanks for the words of encouragement ... it's so hard to get in the right frame of mind isn't it? I do find MFP inspirational when I log onto it so maybe I should log on everyday!

good luck yourself : 0 )
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    I had a motorcycle accident in 2009 and after I finished 18 months of physio to get me walking again I was still in daily pain and did no excercise for the next 2 year and put on a bit of weight (thats why I'm here). I believe that if I lose 30lb it'll make things easier for my poor little legs.

So far since the 2nd Jan 2013, I've lost 10lb just by dieting.

Excersise wise things like walking and running are out for me as are most types of excercise routines.

Low impact are things like cycling, cross trainers & swimming. I'll be starting these shortly once the dieting weightloss slowes down.

Any decent physiotherapist should be able to give you excercises that you can do that will not agrivate the injury you've got.
  • I am about 18 weeks post knee surgery and understand what you are saying. I am still rehabbing through physical therapy and am still extremely limited in what I can do. I got to start the bike about 9 weeks after surgery and I could not even push the pedal around all the way. I had to rock it back and forth. I have built up more but still am limited in how much I can bike without my knee flaring up. I have been told to do low to no impact activity only - forever and especially for the next 10 years while we try to save what's left of my knee for a replacement when I get to the minimum age the doctor recommends.

That being said - I have been able to make progress in my weight loss journey, which will also help preserve the knee some, by tracking the food that I eat and make smarter choices with little exercise. So yes, it's possible. But, keep up with the exercise no matter how much you do because you do want to get that ankle back into shape and limit the chances of future injuries to it.

Injuries can definitely cause you to give up. The support of friends, family, and yourself will help you get through it. There will be setbacks along the way but you have to remind yourself where you were and how far you've come. When I am having a rough day with the knee I try and remind myself that just a few weeks ago I couldn't pedal the bike all the way around and now I can. Same thing with the weight loss - I have to remind myself that I am making better choices than I did before and that my life is changing for the better.

It can be hard but don't give up.
  • spongeh
    spongeh Posts: 152 Member
    My daughter is now 6 and was 3 at the time of the accident, the hardest thing for me was not being able to get down to her level and play with her. :cry:

One thing I forgot thats made the world of difference to me is daily high dosage of Omega 3 fish oil, I'm down to about 10% of the pain I had previously, the pain comes back if I forget to take it for a while.

6g (6 x 1000mg) seems to be working for me and has lots of other benefits, not just on the joints.
  • Panna9406
    Panna9406 Posts: 92 Member
    I have a pinched nerve in my lower back and can't workout either... I'm trying to eat at my calorie goal, but since I'm not working out I gained a little weight. Exercising was always easier for me, than eating at a deficit.... So I'm pretty sceptical about this.

Did you tried PT? I'll start it next week and don't know what to expect. Is it going to help my weight loss in any way? What's going to happen there?:tongue:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!