Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fat Loss Plan

Options
So while MFP was down I entertained myself by reading some articles on http://bodyrecomposition.com My weight has been at a standstill for a long time and I've even regained some. Anyway, reading the articles I was reminded of the rapid fat loss plan.

My question before I delve further into this, would this be appropriate for a pescetarian (mostly vegetarian)? I do keep my protein fairy high in general and my main form of exercise is heavy lifting, although I've just added running back in because I'm training for a Spartan Sprint.

Basically my only experience with this plan was a female friend of mine on here tried it. It seemed that she mostly ate egg whites and chicken breast, and the chicken is out for me. She also suffered a small mental breakdown from the lack of carbs. This is scary because I've never done low carb before.

Any advice?

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Did you search his site for the answer? I would bet most likely that question has already been answered. Check it out. I'd say post your question, but first search for the answer as he is very snarky about answering something that is already there! Good luck!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but it sounds awful!

Think I'd stick with eating well and your exercise regime - from what I read it's nigh on impossible to combine weight reduction with heavy lifting, so maybe go by bodyfat percentage and measurements instead?

Best of luck.
  • Alex_Wilken
    Options
    My sarcasm won't be appreciated in this thread so I would have to refrain from commenting. Anyway I would suggest you eat whatever fits your budget, taste buds and lifestyle rather than torture yourself with egg whites and brown rice and whatever nonsense they eat nowadays.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I've never done it but I've been considering it too, just for a week or two. I'm just not sure if I can handle so few calories, and I do like my beer...and not sure I can get that low on fats. Also, I'm afraid of how taking in so few calories might effect my energy level and workouts. So I'm curious to see the responses.

I've done low carb before.. (Atkins) I kept my carbs around 25 grams per day.. It made me kind of loopy and b!tchy and you do get ketone breath. I think you could easily sub fish/shellfish for chicken.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I had a great pescatarian diet guide. I can't find it now. Really I think at this point anything you can do to shock your system might be helpful. Get out of your routine so your body has to react to it.

I'll keep looking for the pdf if i can find it. I know one weird thing about it included a gallon of water a day.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Rapid fat loss plan, I believe that's the protein sparing modified fast.

You'll be eating around 600 calories, and most of that will be from protein. Since you eat fish, you're pretty much just going to be chowing down on tilapia all day, every day.

It's important to follow the program to the letter. It's not for casual dieters, and it' has no wiggle room.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    LOL I was expecting some of these answers. First, I'm not new to this or stupid. I've been basically following an IIFYM plan at a moderate deficit for a few years now.

It's something that a lot of knowledgable people use when on a cut cycle and I'm just curious if it would fit with my dietary requirements. I've been a pescetarian for 20 years and it's not going to change.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    Also, I'm typing on my phone so a little slow.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

You'll be eating around 600 calories, and most of that will be from protein. Since you eat fish, you're pretty much just going to be chowing down on tilapia all day, every day.

It's important to follow the program to the letter. It's not for casual dieters, and it' has no wiggle room.
    Okay this sounds like a dumb question, but are seasonings allowed?
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't know much about this plan, but I did Atkins some years ago, lost a few pounds, then stopped losing. Meantime, my cholesterol went to 315 (I am 5'2" and weighed 122 pounds and was 43 yrs old at the time, fairly fit), and I started having dizzy, almost fainting spells. I usually am inclined to be mostly vegetarian, and after my blood test my doctor told me to go right back to how I was eating before (and like to eat). It took me a year to get my cholesterol back down, and I have lost weight successfully on a similar plan to MFP since then, but eating in a way that is normal for me. Trying to eliminate one entire food group is not natural and I don't think it's healthy. Neither is reducing calories to the extreme. That kind of weight loss doesn't last because it can't be maintained, and you just end up overweight again but your metabolism is worse (slower) so it's harder to lose again after that. That's been my experience anyway.
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    LOL I was expecting some of these answers. First, I'm not new to this or stupid. I've been basically following an IIFYM plan at a moderate deficit for a few years now.

It's something that a lot of knowledgable people use when on a cut cycle and I'm just curious if it would fit with my dietary requirements. I've been a pescetarian for 20 years and it's not going to change.
    Then Why did you ask ???
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Okay this sounds like a dumb question, but are seasonings allowed?

As long as they have little to no calories, sure. =)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options

Then Why did you ask ???
    For the third time (even though it's included in your quote), because I wanted to find out if it fit into my dietary requirements. It's not meant as a long term diet plan.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, it seems like it's often not a permanent loss. It's designed for people who are trying to rapidly cut fat for competitions or whatever where gaining some back isn't a problem. I've also read it's rougher on women due to hormonal issues.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    From what I've read, it seems like it's often not a permanent loss. It's designed for people who are trying to rapidly cut fat for competitions or whatever where gaining some back isn't a problem. I've also read it's rougher on women due to hormonal issues.
    Yeah, I've read the same. I'm just considering it, if I do try it, it would only be for a week or 2. And I believe we have the same friend who didn't do well on it with the hormonal issues.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have done this before and I am doing it currently. I don't know how much fat is in tilapia but I eat a lot of tuna. You can definitely do this as pescatarian.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Ever considered Lyle's UD2.0?
    It's one another protocol, I'm just about to end the 8th week, and definitely gave great results for preserving lean mass while shedding off the fat - especially on the problematic areas. The best part is the glycogen surcomp. reload which turn you into a whale :)
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Options
    It's one another protocol, I'm just about to end the 8th week, and definitely gave great results for preserving lean mass while shedding off the fat - especially on the problematic areas. The best part is the glycogen surcomp. reload which turn you into a whale :)
    Haven't heard of that one! Will look into it. If you can follow it with your dietary restrictions, I should be able to also.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

Looks like my current bf percent is higher than is recommended to start that plan. Interesting though.

Grr MFP is glitchy today! Just wanted to add that it's good that tuna would work since tuna is super easy and cheap.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard of that one! Will look into it. If you can follow it with your dietary restrictions, I should be able to also.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/ultimate-diet-20

Looks like my current bf percent is higher than is recommended to start that plan. Interesting though.

Grr MFP is glitchy today! Just wanted to add that it's good that tuna would work since tuna is super easy and cheap.

I have been on it for two weeks so far. I screwed up and ate an extra pizza. No big deal. The last time I did it I went from 200 to 166. I think I can stop around 172 this time and it will put me at 10%bf.
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options
    Don't know much about this plan, but I did Atkins some years ago, lost a few pounds, then stopped losing. Meantime, my cholesterol went to 315 (I am 5'2" and weighed 122 pounds and was 43 yrs old at the time, fairly fit), and I started having dizzy, almost fainting spells. I usually am inclined to be mostly vegetarian, and after my blood test my doctor told me to go right back to how I was eating before (and like to eat). It took me a year to get my cholesterol back down, and I have lost weight successfully on a similar plan to MFP since then, but eating in a way that is normal for me. Trying to eliminate one entire food group is not natural and I don't think it's healthy. Neither is reducing calories to the extreme. That kind of weight loss doesn't last because it can't be maintained, and you just end up overweight again but your metabolism is worse (slower) so it's harder to lose again after that. That's been my experience anyway.

Snore.

Who is to say that eating all of the food groups we define is "natural"? It's an assumption based on a lot of other assumptions. If low carb didn't work for you, by all means, don't do it, but don't use the "natural" argument. It's tired and flawed. :)

Your Cholesterol point brings up a long an complicated topic. Suffice to say, many people see an improvement in blood lipids when switching to a low carb diet, possibly even better numbers if you do it Primal/Paleo style. Beyond that, there is also the fact that your Cholesterol number doesn't tell the whole story. There is LDL, HDL, and different densities of LDL, even different HDL densities! Many people see increase in protective HDL at the same time as an increase in the "bad" LDL when going low carb. Beyond there are claims that the type of LDL on a low carb diet is improved, meaning it's the less dense, more "fluffy" lipoproteins that makes up more of your higher LDL number. This can be tested with more expensive Cholesterol tests but much of it is still debated by the medical community. To get to the point, eating "low carb" may result in a Cholesterol profile that offers less risk of heart disease despite the simplistic number that you quoted being higher. Again, it's all open to debate right now.

As for Lyle's diet, it seems to be mostly targeted at athletes who want to cut, but you can see testimonials from very overweight people too. It's designed to help you lose fat as quickly as possibly while sparing as much lean mass as possible and also satisfying minimal nutritional requirements. Lyle is not in the CARBS ARE EVIL camp, have a read of his blog and you'll find it loaded with a lot of evidence based suggestions. I've seriously considered his rapid fat loss diet at times, just it's extreme nature that scares me away, not sure if I could stick to it.