2nd Shift/different world!

Options
So I work the night shift from anywheres between 3pm and midnight. I get out of work, can't fall asleep until 230/3am and then don't wake up till 11/noon!! I have the WORST eating/exercise/sleep schedule ever. So how do you guys do it? What time do you eat your meals? How do you balance it all. I work at a gas station, so let me tell you, it's junk food city. Easy access. But enough is enough! How's it done!?!

Replies

• MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I am a yo-yo dieter. I try not to be but it is fact. On the good days I count my calories ahead of time and eat all the healthy stuff I planned out. I count from noon to noon as a day and do not switch my schedule around (I almost always sleep 9-5 during the day).
  • true2me83
    Options
    I have been working overnights 9pm- 5:30am for 8 years. They key is to stay awak from the junk food by bring your own healthy snack and protein shakes to give you a full feeling. It takes time to get used to the hours but your body will adapt. If you have trouble sleeping try melatonin to help regulate your sleep schedule. Good luck.
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I work in tv so I have the same problems. Sometimes I don't get off work til 2am! Just treat YOUR day like anyone else's. So what if it doesn't start til noon? Just eat breakfast and like Michelle said plan out your day ahead of time, even if just giving yourself an idea what you want to eat.

Because your day starts so late just don't follow any of the don't eat after 7 or whatever people are saying these days. As long as you're in control of your calories, your body doesn't care when you get them.

In short, do what everyone else does just shifted forward a little. Workout before you head in and you'll feel better and make better choices for the day. And you'll sleep like a little baby at night.

Good luck!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Have you tried sleep hygiene? What time of day would you like to exercise, before or after work? Specific timing of meals is not that important because your whole day is shifted. But what you eat and drink is highly relevant, junk food soda and caffeine can mess with your sleep patterns and energy levels and cause more cravings.

Presumably you have to buy the junk food you eat? If so maybe start carrying healthy food, snacks and drinks and stop carrying money and cards. Be sure you are eating a large filling meal before you leave home - a huge pile of non starchy vegetables, a good serving of lean protein, some healthy fats, plenty of fibre. Eat enough that you actually could not face a dessert or candy bar for a few hours.