Why oh why I HATE my thighs :-/

Options
Ok, so first off... after finally getting on the bandwagon w/MFP in trying to makeover my lifestyle and health habits I am proud of myself for keeping up with this. I have every intention to make this permanent! I have lost some lbs so far, and SOME of my clothes seem to be fitting slightly looser in some areas... but apparently now what I think my biggest issue w/my body is my THIGHS!!! Ok, so I'm a short girl... only 5'4" (ok technically more like 5'3 and a qtr. - wtf?!). My current weight is around 139-140 (obv varying depending on when I weigh during the day, etc.). I have lost 1" in circumference going around my tummy (so yay for that.... I can see the pooch is smaller than it was). I have also lost 1" around my lower end (lol, ok going around my boo-tay hehe) I've got junk in the trunk of course and I'm happy that it's gotten slightly smaller :-)

Anyway, my thighs are still the same as when I last measured (about 2 weeks ago when I took my first measurement). I'm so disheartened, depressed, mad and just really hate, hate, hate my short chubby legs. Ugh if only I was taller so that could be spread out more right?! I've never been a skinny twiggy girl, nor do I desire to be; however, I am sick and tired of these thick, untoned thighs that I have to look at in the mirror!!! Working in a cubicle 9 hours a day, 5 days a week has apparently contributed to chubbing up my thighs even more than I remember. :cry:

I have been riding a stationary bike for 30 mins most days of the week (at least 4 days) for the past month now so you would think this might help in slimming my legs slightly?! Well apparently not, I dunno... I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong?!?! I just bought a dvd w/ a resistance band online recently and I'm looking forward to using that to help aid in toning these ugly legs of mine... SO anxious!! I guess I'm looking for other suggestions or tips as to how I can get the legs I've always dreamed of. I love walking, took a nice walk today (about 2 miles in 30 mins around the neighborhood) - felt invigorated! I have to do my walking though based on the weather/time of day (being a woman I won't even take the chance of going at dusk/night). I have a mini weight bench that I do some leg curls on w/ about 18lbs of weights on it - maybe I need to start doing that a LOT more?! All I know is come bikini time this summer I want to be proud of my body and not feel like the fat girl in my group of friends (so depressing)... so if anyone cares to dish on tips it would be much appreciated!

~Donna

Replies

• joonieB
    joonieB Posts: 101
    Options
    I feel your pain. Once a few years ago I did a full triathalon over a period of two weeks at my gym and my thighs totally bulked up from the experience. I realized that the stationary bike was not my friend. I've had much better luck with swimming and the eliptical machine. No doubt you are getting fitter and replacing fat with muscle. Keep exercising and eating right, but maybe do less targeting of the thighs?
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself...you'll get over this "thigh thing" in a matter of time :smile:

I used to feel the same way about mine:grumble: , until I started doing Winsor Pilates:love: .
    My muscles "lengthen & tone" and I lose in the measurement department.

I'm tired so my thinking might not be right on, but you are probably building up your muscles w/all the biking.
    Something like Pilates will help lengthen & tone (like I mentioned above).

All in all, I hope you find something that works for you so you can stop hating your thighs.
    Best of luck to you!
    :flowerforyou: T
  • nickkehagias
    Options
    Running hills/stadiums(maybe a stairmaster? idk about that one) are great for the thighs/butt. They're also great for cardio-vascular improvements.
  • CSimpson
    CSimpson Posts: 20
    Options
    I use the eliptical at the gym 3-4 times a week and attend spinning class 2 times a week. There are definitely days when I feel like my thighs are going to burst out my jeans or work slacks. My spin instructor has encouraged me to attend group weight training classes where the focus is to tone the muscles so your legs are lean. If you attend a gym, you might want to check into group classes or even personal training sessions. Keep up the good work.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I am 5'5" and carry most of my weight around my thighs/hips/booty.
    I have lost 14lbs and am JUST starting to see a difference in my thighs. I have done a lot of cardio and that helps over all but what has really been helping me recently to tone and slim is the 30day shred by Jillian Michaels.
    the shred is more easily available at targetn, walmart, barnes n noble, etc for about $10 and worth every penny. I use 5lb dumbells and she does a LOT of squats which is what helps to lift and tone ur lower body. the workout is only 20-25mins a day. there are 3 levels u do at your own pace. I'm giving each level 7days and turbo jam and biking in between.

it's very inexpensive and the workout is nice and short but VERY effective. Try it!!! you'll be glad you did.

if you're not convinced there are hundreds of reviews on amazon and dozens of threads here on MFP.

Lemme know if it works out for ya.
  • lwest008
    lwest008 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Lunges and squats, lunges and squats....and repeat. The most effective toning exercises for your thighs and butt are lunges and squats. They are uncomfortable, they make your thighs burn, but they work. You can also try wall sits....lean against a wall (even the wall in your office at work) and squat down into a sitting position until your knees are at 90 degrees and lined up with you ankles (aka knees don't go over toes). Hold that position for at least 30 seconds...or until your legs are burning and you can't stand another second. Your muscular endurance will improve and so will your muscle tone. Good luck!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. I am 5'5" and carry most of my weight around my thighs/hips/booty.
    I have lost 14lbs and am JUST starting to see a difference in my thighs. I have done a lot of cardio and that helps over all but what has really been helping me recently to tone and slim is the 30day shred by Jillian Michaels.
    the shred is more easily available at targetn, walmart, barnes n noble, etc for about $10 and worth every penny. I use 5lb dumbells and she does a LOT of squats which is what helps to lift and tone ur lower body. the workout is only 20-25mins a day. there are 3 levels u do at your own pace. I'm giving each level 7days and turbo jam and biking in between.

it's very inexpensive and the workout is nice and short but VERY effective. Try it!!! you'll be glad you did.

if you're not convinced there are hundreds of reviews on amazon and dozens of threads here on MFP.

Lemme know if it works out for ya.

I second this - 30 day shred did help considerably with toning the thighs - probably due to lots of lunge work. Jillian also has a workout "No More Trouble Zones" that really targets booty, thighs and other areas... it's tough but I keep telling myself it's worth it. Starting to see different definition - i.e. - when I'm in the shower, shaving my legs - is when i notice it most.

I also agree with the Pilates user.... I've done a combination of the Jillian dvds, running and pilates.... it seems to be helping a lot. Good luck!
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Oh, so glad this is topic :D I'm 5'7'' and I carry a fair amount of my weight/bulk in my hips/thighs...makes it so hard to find jeans that fit. I've been doing a lot of swimming and squats, and I'm seeing improvement (definition, if nothing else) in my thighs. I think I'll look into the 30 Day Shred here soon....honestly I'm a rather intimidated by it.