Sweet Potato vs Normal, yellow potato

Options
2»

Replies

• donnamariewilliams
    Options
    I now use smoked paprika instead of brown sugar. Less calories and I found out now I can taste the potato more. If you need to add fiber to your diet, sweet potatoes have a lot of fiber.
  • MsKim1970
    Options
    Wow!! I've been missing out! *blushes .. I've never had sweet potatoes before. :) Thanks for sharing all of your ideas.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    LOL with a bunch of brown sugar and....marshmallows? Is that how it's done? And it kinda reminds me of pumpkin pie :)

Otherwise I can't stand them!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Baked, roasted, mashed...all good ways to eat them. I switched quite some time ago. Oh my, it has been awhile. In my profile I have a picture of my sweet potato plant that I grew by accident. i thought I had used them all but found one and it had already sprouted...so I tossed it in some dirt and dang...it grew and produced.

I normally use brown sugar and cinnamon when nukeing them. Roasted ones get olive oil tossed in. Mashed get butter and a little brown sugar.
  • karakreature
    karakreature Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    General consensus:

"Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew."

I say this quote all the time Sam Wise!
  • MizzRedskin804
    MizzRedskin804 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had one with dinner tonight. I baked it and added a tbsp of butter (Smart Balance) and a little cinnamon. It was delish!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've always thought sweet potatoes were healthier, too. It turns out that they're pretty much the same - except for the taste!

I found this information from http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/sweet_potatoes_not_white.html

potatoes sweet potatoes
    calories 220 208
    protein 5 3.5
    carbs 51 49
    calcium 20 56
    phosphorus 115 110
    iron 2.8 1
    sodium 16 20
    potassium 844 693
    fiber 4 5
    thiamin 0.22 0.14
    riboflavin 0.07 0.13
    niacin 3.3 1.2
    vitamin C 16 49
    vitamin A ? 4350

"So, as you can see, sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A, and have a little more vitamin C and calcium (but less iron) than white potatoes; otherwise they're pretty much equal."

I like them roasted with a little butter and brown sugar!

(I tried to edit, but evidently MFP doesn't like multiple spaces or tabs.)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've always thought sweet potatoes were healthier, too. It turns out that they're pretty much the same - except for the taste!

I found this information from http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/sweet_potatoes_not_white.html

potatoes sweet potatoes
    calories 220 208
    protein 5 3.5
    carbs 51 49
    calcium 20 56
    phosphorus 115 110
    iron 2.8 1
    sodium 16 20
    potassium 844 693
    fiber 4 5
    thiamin 0.22 0.14
    riboflavin 0.07 0.13
    niacin 3.3 1.2
    vitamin C 16 49
    vitamin A ? 4350

"So, as you can see, sweet potatoes are a good source of vitamin A, and have a little more vitamin C and calcium (but less iron) than white potatoes; otherwise they're pretty much equal."

I like them roasted with a little butter and brown sugar!

(I tried to edit, but evidently MFP doesn't like multiple spaces or tabs.)

The South Beach Diet doesn't recommend regular potatoes but does allow sweet potatoes in limited quantities. This is due to the way they affect your blood sugar. I never realized how you prepare a sweet potato affects its GI. From Livestrong:

A baked potato has a glycemic index of 76 relative to glucose and 108 relative to white bread, the institute states. This indicates that the blood glucose increases after eating a baked potato at 76 percent of the amount it would respond when eating the same amount of carbohydrates in pure glucose and 108 percent of the identical amount in white bread. The lower a food's glycemic index, the less it affects insulin levels and blood sugar, Harvard Health Publications notes.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/287986-the-glycemic-index-of-potatoes/#ixzz2JEb8ERao

The way you prepare sweet potatoes makes a difference in their GI. The GI of a 150-g sweet potato, boiled with its skin for 30 minutes, is 46. That number rises to 94 if the same sweet potato is baked for 45 minutes. These dramatic differences come from the way the starches in sweet potatoes gelatinize during cooking. Foods that turn viscous, or jelly-like, in your digestive tract have a lower GI because the gelatinous substance slows the release of the nutrients in the food. Baking your sweet potatoes instead of boiling them changes the quality of their starches and transforms this root vegetable from a moderate-GI food to a high GI-food.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/295025-the-glycemic-index-for-sweet-potatoes/#ixzz2JEbp9kVr
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    We have made baked spicy sweet potatoe fries. Slice in fairly thick sticks or fries, mix a few table spoons of olive oil with spices including chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. toss the fries in this spiced oil mixture. Then bake in the oven till cooked and soft.

We also like to sautee the sweet potatoe slices with what ever protein I may be cooking. We have cooked the sweet Potatoes with pork and chicken. The small about of oil or fat used to sautee helps to carmelize the sweet potatoes.

I also use to not like sweet potatoes, now I love them.