1690 calories

Options
thats the mfp-recommended caloric intake for me. Is this crazy high? Is everyone else's lower? I am not Lance Armstrong over here....

I have incorporated a lot of whole grains and veggies and cut out all the junk, and I end up with about 1300-1500 calories a day so I am always under. I also have not really lost any noticeable pounds after about three weeks of consistent exercise. Is this normal?

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: the number of calories is based on how much you weigh, how active you are, and how quickly or slowly you want to lose weight.
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    Options
    My Calories are 1610 and thats just right for me!! But i'm also 6'2" and not looking to lose a lot of weight very fast. :]
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    First note, DAMNNN 6'2... you are my height! haha.

Ok back to topic. I think 1500 calories for you is fine. I dont know your height but the women i train i tell them to eat around 1500 of healthy calories. So Your carbs should be complex like fruits and whole grains and only 10-15% of your calories per day should come from fat. The rest of my calories come from protein and I instruct them to do the same if you are going for a really toned and low body fat look. If you are just wanting to shed some weight and get a flat tummy, then my suggestion is to eat between 1300 and 1450 cals and again watch the carbs and fat but you dont need to worry about the protein as much as long as you are consuming around 70-80 grams.

For me personally, i am 6'2 and 235 lbs and obviously a male. I eat no more than 170g of carbs and I eat as close as I can to 200g of protein. My intake of calories is usually anywhere from 15-1900. Note: MFP tells me to consume 2090 calories but I dont need that to lose weight, i would rather eat 1800 calories, almost 300 less and still workout. I have lost up to two lbs right now, not much. So dont worry about the weight too much onthe scale. I suggest weighing every 1-2 weeks. And if you haven't been active in a while, now that you are, you may put on a lb or two of muscle. Good luck :)
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    Oh my gosh! How do you people do it? My calories lowered to 1750 and I absolutely could not do it and was getting so discouraged. I had to change my goals to lose 1/2 lbs. a week instead of 1 lbs/week just so I could reasonably make it on a daily basis. This upped my calories to about 2000. I think if you have set your MFP goal to your desired weight loss (example 1 lbs./week) and you still are that much under your daily calorie goal then you are probably not seeing a significant weight loss because your body might be in starvation mode. I am by no means an expert, but I think you should be consuming as many calories as you can in order to be closer to your daily goal.
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    I had the same problem in the beginning then realized when I first set up my fitness profile that I over estimated my daily physical activity. You may want to revisit that page, go to "My Home" and then "Settings" just to make sure you entered everything correctly.
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    Thank you all for answering my questions!