Lost 16.6lbs....

Options
So, I've lost 16.6lbs... that's a lot of weight! So i expected to see bigger results i guess. I realllllyyyy am not seeing a big difference! I only notice my pants wrinkle more now when i wear them. so it seems my thighs have gotten a bit smaller. But looking in the mirror... i just don't see it!

I was looking at success stories from people here and i came across this lady that lost 8lbs and she posted before and after pics. Amazing! What a huge difference 8lbs made for her! Well, i've lost double that and I don't have such dramatic results. :-(

I'm sorry... i'm just a bit frustrated. Did you notice the weight coming off?

At what point was it noticeable for you when you looked in the mirror?

Replies

• CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Last year I started at 199lbs, so ill say 200lbs. I didnt notice any difference till i got down 20 lbs. I wore the same jeans from 200lbs till 166lbs. At 180-160 was a HUGE difference. Jeans started to get loose, shirts started to fit differently. From 200-180 i FELT alot better but didnt look alot better. But now im back at 205lbs, and starting over...

Stick in there :]
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    I totally know what you are talking about! I barely started seeing the difference after I lost almost 50 lbs. Everyone would tell me that I was looking good............one of my students told me "Wow Ms.........you can really tell in your face that you've lost a lot" and I just couldn't see it. I would look at before and after pics and could not tell the difference at all and others could. I obviously knew I had lost weight because the scale said so and I had dropped from a size 20 to a 14, but I didn't see when I looked in the mirror. I would say that it was at least 50 lbs before I started to see the difference for myself and actually started believing it..............Don't give up...........you are doing great and you will see the difference before you know it!
  • gisii
    gisii Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    yea am having the same issue... only its only 7 pounds! but still...
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much you need to lose.
    If you have more than 100 pounds to lose, 16 may not show very much.
    But if you have 20 pounds to lose, then 16 will definitely show.

For me, the first time I did this, it took about 20 pounds to show (and I had about 60 to lose).
    It really depends on the person. Some people naturally lose fat in certain places. For example, my mom lost all her weight in her face first. So if you were to look at a picture of just her head, before and after, you could have swore she lost 50 pounds... when it was really only 9.

Basically, be patient. For me, the scale was my first motivation. Then there's a rough spot where the scale doesn't go down as quickly as it did before. And then there's about another 3 weeks before you see results. Then the motivation flame burns again.

Good luck though.
    PS: After you get your first compliment on your weight loss... run to the bathroom and smile all by yourself.
    Apparently I scared everybody, walking around all day with the biggest grin on my face. People thought I had murdered someone, LOL. =D
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    this is tough, and I understand because I thought the same thing!! I lost 12 before I came here and I really couldn't see a difference at all, but by the time I hit the 20# mark, I was starting to see it, but just a little. Of course, I was still wearing my "big" clothes so know one else was really noticing it either. then I started weight resistance excercises. I use dumbells and leg weights for this. within a couple weeks, I actually felt better and stronger, but I still couldn't see much change. By the time i hit the 25 pound mark, I had to get some different clothers. From January 2nd, my first day here until around the end of february I had lost almost 41 inches and about 30 pounds! Now, I can finally see it and so can everyone else. I guess what I'm trying to tel you is hang in there! It will happen, just keep doing what your doing. Everyone is different so its hard to say how your body is going to handle the losses you have. in a certain way. It was hard for me to acknowledge any loss I had because I was so use to bing heavier that I figured it was impossible to believe I really could do this. Understand? Kind of hard to put into words. For you, just keep it up, it really won't be much longer until you start to see some significant changes!!
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh 103 pounds and then I quit smoking. i have yo-yoed up to my all time high of 145 (which may not sound like huge, but it's almost 50% of my total weight) But from 120 ish to 145, I'm still a size 6 - muffin tops not withstanding. Depending on what mood I'm in I either feel leaner or fatter. Depending on what I had for dinner I either look pregnant or post-pregnant.

So, it's all subjective in the end.
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't let the image in the mirror discourage you. Just Keep Pushing to your ultimate goal, we are all here to support and encourage you!
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    Also if you think about it............

So I would see pictures of me and ask my friends, do I really look like that...........to me it was bad, but that is what I really looked like to them.
    I think we always have an "image" in our own head about what we should and do look like. Now that we are losing weight it is on the other side of the spectrum as my first example, but I think we are "scared" to believe that we really look like the new us!
    I hope that makes sense. I think we are scared to accept that we are making a positive change and that we are being successful because for so long our body image has not necessarily been positive.
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I will make this short and sweet. First off I will agree with MFP Friend. If you are extremely obese, you will not see much of a result if you need to lose over 100lbs and have lost 16 for example. But if you need to lose say 50 and you lost 16 lbs, you would definitely notice in every area. Some people hold fat in different areas. For women it tends to be in the legs and butt area, followed by the breast, arm and abdomen area. As your body fat percentage decreases, it decreases from everywhere equally, so if your pants fit better its because that is where you tend to keep your weight. DONT WORRY, you will see the difference and will be so happy you kept going.

Also note, the more muscle mass you build, the more calories you will burn and more importantly, the better you will look and feel!
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am in the same boat. I lost 56 pounds and when I look in the mirror I still see myself the same way. No has told me anything yet so I am discourage. Maybe it came off my legs or ankles or fingers! ANother problem I am having is I was told that when I start dropping weight my boobs would be the first to go. I have a very generous bust size and after losing 56 lbs I still have my boobs at the same size! I want my boobs to go away and they refuse to leave! When I was in my 20's I lost 75 lbs and guess what?? I lost only two sizes not cup sizes and I was nothing but boobs with legs. I know what your thinking..what am I complaining about but trust me I am sick of them.
  • bttrflykisses820
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the responses!

Abutterflyemerges... i wanted to say that i think i'm losing from my fingers too... haha! my rings are getting looser.

But i'm pretty happy to know more of you are in the same boat. i was 220 and want to get to 130-140 so that's a lot of weight! Currently i'm 204... so i have 74-64 more pounds to go! I can't wait to lose another 17... i would think and hope that i notice it myself then.

If not... then i need to just trust the scale... and so should the rest of you that are in the same boat. The scale has always been an enemy for most of us... so we know not to like it... but when it's complimenting us, we really should take the compliment!