Help with sodium please

Options
So yesterday I posted about how I was following sodium levels in my diet now because I feel we all have too much.
Feel free to look at my public diary i know its kinda strange I have weird tastes but has anyone got any ideas to lower sodium levels in food baring in mind two things.
1. After i run out this time, i will be buying fresh chicken and not precooked chicken.
2. I need some form of dressing to go with either my salad or my tuna or both?
Any help appreciated, Also does anyone know if, after draining my tuna, does rising it in fresh water reduce the sodium?
And any other low sodium foods apart from veg, i know about them, that i can use as a snack at work would be great!!

Cheers
Ben =D

Replies

• tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can you find tuna in spring water instead of brine? Also, compare brands, some are lower in sodium than others. As for dressing, you should just plan to spend some time reading the labels at the grocery store. If you are brave, you could even try finding receipes to make your own dressing.

Snacking at work: yogurt, fruit, veg,

This looks like it might have useful info too: http://www.ehow.co.uk/topic_718_benefits-risks-sodium.html
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    thanks for that having a look now
    Ben
  • mibonita
    mibonita Posts: 9
    Options
    Not really a food tip; but a general sodium tip for you: If you do find you have consumed too much sodium or even bloating foods, such as bell pepper, onion, apples, add a squeeze or two of lemon to your water the next day. It flushes all that sodium and water retention right outta there.. Just make sure to keep up on your toothbrushing if you are adding lemon regularly; the acid is hard on your teeth : D